8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2011 5:10 PM by LaRetta_1

What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?

fredmckinnon

Title

What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?

Hey Gang,

I've got a grid view layout and have chosen to display a trailing subtotal.  The subtotal appears at the bottom, but I can't seem to format the numbers (ie. only 2 decimal places, etc), and the numbers are chopped off, like the field isn't wide enough ... and not sure where to modify all of this?

Please see screenshot:

Screen_shot_2011-05-12_at_8.54.29_AM.png

• 1. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
          fredmckinnon

pardon the bump .. but still haven't figured this out ...

• 2. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
            kurtnivy

Use the inspector to change the data of the summary field.  If you click the field and then in the inspector you'll see a data tab.  That tab has data formatting in it. There you can change the decimal places, put commas in for thousands, and change the summary format(looks like you already have it as currency). The size is changed by the position tab. You change the height and length by input of numbers, or you should be able to click the field and drag the corner to make it bigger while in layout edit mode..  Hope that helps.

• 3. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
              fredmckinnon

Hey,
              Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure this is working for me - it's not an actual field, or a summary field - it's just a trailing subtotal of my Gross Received and Vendor COGS columns.  So, at the top of the column in the options for that field/column, I have "Trailing Subtotals (Total)" selected.  So, it creates the big grey trailing subtotal area in my layout (as you can see from the screenshot above), but I can't adjust the height of it, and as you can see, the numbers are chopped off.  I'm in Table View.  When I go to Layout (to get Inspector), of course, there is no actual "field" to manipulate.  (and the trailing subtotal area doesn't show up in layout mode)

• 4. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
                alc

In this case ("When I go to Layout (to get Inspector), of course, there is no actual  "field" to manipulate.  (and the trailing subtotal area doesn't show up  in layout mode)")

I believe the trick ist to set the number formatting as a default, THEN create what you want. 

So you may wish to set  delete your trailing subtotal, THEN

set number prefs (With NOTHING selected, set prefs as desired:

Data Inspector > .01 icon (number format) choose decimal from popup, format further as desired

Now create your trailing subtotal.

Of course you can reset your number prefs once done.

Hope that works for you. - xandra

• 5. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
                  fredmckinnon

Hey Gang,

Thanks a ton.  This is helping.  I figured out the main culprit.  When the column width is too narrow to display the trailing subtotal on a single line, it breaks it:
                  So - if the column width is dragged to be much wider, the trailing summary appears correctly:
                  Example:

Total:  $5,000,000.00

However, if the column width is more narrow, it breaks it as follows:
                  Total:
                  $5,000,000.00

And the trailing subtotal area then chops off the bottom line of the text, I guess it assumes it should only have a height of 1 line of text, and when the text wraps down to a 2nd line, it won't display correctly.

Any ideas how to change the height (or allowed rows of text) in the trailing area, because for me to make my columns wide enough in the layout to accomodate the trailing subtotal on a single line in the summary area, the columns for the normal viewing area are way too wide.

• 6. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
                    LaRetta_1

You really should use a list view.  Table views have many disadvantages and this is just one of them.  You can't control the text - FM just determins you want it to say Total: when you might want it to say Balance Due etc. 

If you use a List view, you are free on placement of your fields and text outside of the field - you don't have that column restriction into your summarized parts.

• 7. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
                      fredmckinnon

Hey, I built a view in List View, but then, I didn't seem to have the option to create trailing subtotals, etc., per column?

• 8. Re: What's Wrong with my Trailing Subtotal?
                        LaRetta_1

Hi Fred,

Yes you can; you are just freer in placement.  Take a look at Layouts > Part Setup.  You create summary fields to sub-total any column you wish and then you place the summary field either in leading part, trailing sub-summary parat, trailing grand summary etc. :^)