1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?

StevenWilliams

Title

Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?

Right Now I have buttons within the customer Projects tab of each type of project. Example (button 1 = roofing / Button 2 = Siding and so on.. 8 project types pulling from the same product list Pending the Category.. I would like to have a list of selected Projects under my Buttons showing all the projects this Customer is doing or has done over the yrs. Each project has it's own table with layout of the project order. 

My question is this: Is this a wise way of handling the projects or is it better to have it set up as enter a new project select the type (category) of project then have a button to click witch will open a project order base on the category? I want to have the Invoice set to the project base on the order # this customer could be doing more then I project at a time so I would like to be able to invoice the customer based on the Project # this way I can add as many projects to the Invoice as needed..

Well I hope I didn't lose you all to bad..  Looking forward to everyone thoughts on this...

Thanks Again 

Steven

• 1. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
          philmodjunk

I think you need to explain what you mean by this:

Each project has it's own table with layout of the project order.

Surely you are not opening manage | Database | Tables and adding a new table each time you start a new project for a customer are you? That would not seem to be at all a workable approach....

• 2. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
            StevenWilliams

No i'm not lol,  My projects are in there own table as a order.. Table 1 = Roofing Order (Roofing Project) Table 2 = Siding Order (Siding Project) Table3 = Window Order (Window Project) Each one of my projects as of now are linked to a button as follows:

Button1 =  Enter a new Roofing Project

Button 2 = Enter a new Siding Project

Button 3 = Enter a New Window Project

That is how its set up for now... Looking for your thoughts on the best Option to handle this. 

• 3. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
              philmodjunk

It depends on how similar or different your 3 types of orders are in terms of the data you need to record for each. If they are very similar, I'd use a single table for all 3 types with a "type" field that identifies each as "roofing", "siding" or "window". If the data to be recorded is quite different, I'd link the existing 3 tables to a common table of Projects by a Project ID generated in this new projects table. Any data that is common to all types of projects would be moved to this projects table and only the items unique to a given project type would be kept in your original tables.

Either method gives me a single unified table of all orders--which can make summary reports spanning multiple orders of more than one type much easier to produce.

• 4. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                StevenWilliams

Philmod  Thanks, 

Each order form is drastically different... At least I no im on the right track. 

Thank you 

Steven 

• 5. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                  StevenWilliams

Ok im struggling with this.

Im trying to set up jobs with in a project, as you can see by my image blow. I want to click a button (job order) starts a new job within the project page and upon exiting I would like it to save and list the job below with a view button..  Each job is in its own table and we can have multiple job orders per project. We could have many different jobs with the same topic 3 roof or so on so when they click Example Roof its sets up a new job each time.

How would I go about doing this? Im lost again.

• 6. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                    philmodjunk

Did you do this?

If the data to be recorded is quite different, I'd link the existing 3 tables to a common table of Projects by a Project ID generated in this new projects table. Any data that is common to all types of projects would be moved to this projects table and only the items unique to a given project type would be kept in your original tables.

What tables and relationships do you currently have?

From What I see here, you might use these relationships:

Clients-----<Projects---<RoofingDetails
                                                        ---<SidingDetails
                                                        ---<WindowDetails

Where Projects is the "new common table" that I described previously. With such a structure, a portal to Projects can list all Projects of all types on a Clients layout.

• 7. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                      StevenWilliams

Ok ty yes we are then on the same page other then I didn't think I could use the portal for this so I will go back and study this some more...

• 8. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                        StevenWilliams

Here is a photo of the roofing job that my salesmen will file out.. Other then the type of job retail or Ins. and Full job or repair there the rest are unique

• 9. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                          philmodjunk

And are you now able to do what you need or are you still "stuck" with a part of this that you cannot figure out?

• 10. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                            StevenWilliams

Yes im vary much "stuck"

Ok Would you please explain to me what the steps would be to get this to work...

You stated above (I'd link the existing 3 tables to a common table) think that is done vi Project_line_Item above (relationships)

I no I will have to do some scripting...

• 11. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                              philmodjunk

Start by placing a portal to Project Line Item on your layout. If you have enabled "allow creation of records via this relationship" for Project Line Item, you can simple enter data in the blank "add record" row of the portal to create new Project Line Items. A "type" field defined in Project Line Items can be placed in the portal row and given a value list of the three project types.

What do you need next in your portal from that point? And what version of FileMaker are you using? There's an interesting option we might use if you are using FileMaker 13.

• 12. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                                StevenWilliams

I'm running FM12 and 13 pro advanced server is 12

What do you need next in your portal from that point?

that would be it for that part.

How I am trying to set this up is the salesmen would fill out the Basic Project/Job then select Review (status) at witch time I would verify everything then send the project to the next department ( supplements, Installation then invoicing and so on)

I sent you a pm as well

• 13. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                                  philmodjunk

Yes, but an important detail is whether that "basic job data" can be entered only in fields from Project Line items or if it requires entering data into one of the "request" tables as well. The first is simply a data entry task where the user enters or selects data in fields in the portal row. The second requires first creating the related record and then entering data in fields from that specific table.

In FileMaker 13, there's a new "Hide when" feature that would allow you to "layer" 3 different groups of fields from the three different "Request" tables on top of each other with "hide when" settings that hide 2 of the three groups once a "type" is selected for the project. But this would not work for FileMaker 12 users.

• 14. Re: Whats the best way to setting up my customer projects?
                                    StevenWilliams

Ok I think I no were your going with this lets see if I get this correct here..

In the customer project form - Portal=The project Job of choice Example (Product=Roofing) (that sets the new Job) / Status=Pending. Then set a edit button to allow the salesmen to enter the job and required data.

Now when I go into the Portal setup:

Show records from = Project_Line_Items

Available Fields = Roofing - Siding - Gutters

That would set individual fields for each job, I think the better way would be somehow set a drop down option based on the Job (dummy proof) once they select there Job then that would set the new record?

1 2 Previous Next