AnsweredAssumed Answered

Whats the best way to share my database?

Question asked by DanielClark on Jan 24, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 by DanielClark

Title

Whats the best way to share my database?

I am fairly new to the database world and I have been designing a database using Filemaker for about 6 weeks now. I wanted to start sharing it so the employees at my company can begin to use it. However, I am not sure the best way to do that.

As of now, I have 1 copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced that I have been developing the database on (on my personal computer). I am planning on buying another copy of Filemaker to put on my Mac Mini server and then having that be the database location that all of my employees can access, enter and read data from.

Before I want to buy another copy of Filemaker, I have been experimenting with my copy of advanced as to see what would be the best way to share the database in my office. I thought that Instant web publishing would be perfect - however I have been encountering many issues with that - like formatting issues (I guess when Filemaker publishes to html - images, fonts, etc get screwed up), container fields no longer contain data I want employee access to (like pdf's, zip files, etc). And scripts like "Send email" or "Print" as buttons in my layouts don't work.

I don't want to have to buy multiple copies of Filemaker if I don't have to - I think there must be a simpler way to have my employees access to my database. I was thinking - if there is either a better way to publish the database to the web, or if I can create a stand alone runtime that interfaces (and is able to change and modify) the actual database, or something with TCP/IP or something. Again, I'm new to all this - what would be the best way to set this up?

Thanks

Outcomes