4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 11:27 AM by LeoB

When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text

tomfitzmorris

Title

When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text

I am having a consistent problem pasting text into Filemaker text fields. I get the desired text, plus a tremendous amount of gibberish, or several hundred square boxes follows it. This happens when painting from a clipboard cache (Clip Cache, to be exact), or when pasting from Dreamweaver. Sometimes from other programs. It started in FM7; I now use FM 10, 9, and 8 on various computers, with the same issue. I'm on Windows Vista and XP Home on these machines. I've tried using the Paste Special/Unformatted Text command, to no avail.

Here's an example. The text I'm trying to paste is:

2766 Belle Chasse Hwy, 

Here's what comes up in the FileMarker text field when I try to paste it there as unformatted text.:

2766 Belle Chasse Hwy,\deff0

{\fonttbl{\f0\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Georgia;}}

{\colortbl ;\red204\green255\blue255;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\b\lang1033\f0\fs36 3/24/2010\cf0\pard}

Actually, this is different from what came up in FileMaker. Weird, huh?

I go all the way back to Nutshell 1.0 with FileMaker, and it's the most valuable tool in my box. But this is a vexing problem.  Any ideas?

Tastefully yours,
      Tom Fitzmorris

• 1. Re: When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text
          davidanders

Applications can contain invisible formatting in a document.

Selecting, copying, and pasting text SHOULD select just the text, it depends on the application.

I would suggest using the simplest app for testing, wordpad, for instance.

Create a document in multiple applications, copy and paste to other applications, copy and paste to filemaker.

Once you have found a process that works, use that.

Note that applications can save and export in multiple formats, usually.

Native formats (unique to that application) are most likely to include cruft.

Generic formats, RTF (rich text format) are less likely to present problems.

• 2. Re: When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text
            TKnTexas

When I copy from the program we use to connect to our mainframe accounting program to a field in Filemaker I get those little boxes and lots of garbage following the what is the visible text.  I just attributed it to the source being a less Window friendly application.  It is a DOS app that is running on a SCO-server.

• 3. Re: When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text
              davidanders

Ahh, that explains it.

Three choices that I see.

Use your access to export a file(s) information in a plain text or generic file format for import to FMP.

Copy and paste into a intermediary application that will clean things up, and copy and paste from THAT app.

Copy and paste the verbose text into FMP field for that purpose and calculate a stripped version (parse)

Or most painful, maintain a copy (ghost) of the information contained in the original application for easy access.

• 4. Re: When Pasting Into FM Text Field, Gibberish Follows Text
                LeoB

Copy and paste into a intermediary application that will clean things up, and copy and paste from THAT app.

I've used MailStripper for years to clean up text from e-mails and websites.  It's free.

http://www.papercut.com/emailStripper.htm

You could also copy the text to Notepad, which saves only in the barest .txt format, and save the document and re-open it and move the text.