8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 7:43 AM by jlisburn

when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.

RobW

Title

when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.

I'm running Filemaker 9.03 on a Mac with OSX tiger.  The program has been working fine for about 3-4 weeks, but now when I try to start it the splash screen displays for about 3 seconds, disappears, and the program will not run (this happens when starting the databases we're using or starting FMP by itself).  I'm running this from an account with "Parental Controls" set up - the user has been "granted" permission to run the Filemaker app & the Permissions on the file/folder are correct (none of this has changed from when it was running correctly).  I can run Filemaker and the databases when logged in to the Admin account.  I also tried creating another "user" account (with Parental Control settings the same as the original account) and I CAN run it from that account.  I changed the original account to "allow user to Administer" - doesn't work.  I've re-installed FMP and the v03 update and set up privileges again - doesn't work from the original account, DOES work from Admin and the new account.  I have one other Mac (same OS) that's running one of the databases through the network, not set up with an "opener" database - it's set up to point to the database file & run it in it's own local copy of FMP - this still works.  I'm guessing that something has changed in this one user account that is keeping FMP from running - don't get any error messages, it just doesn't start!!

Don't have a clue at this point - any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks, Rob

• 1. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
          davidanders
             When a process or program works in one or more users, and does not work in a single user, the conventional wisdom is a damaged preference file (plist in OSX) located in the HD>Users>SpecificUser>Library>Preferences folder. Logic would suggest a plist with filemaker in the name, but this not always the case.
          • 2. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
            RobW
               Thanks, I'll check this out!  I'm not too familiar with OSX - usually do PC's.  If this Preference File is damaged, can it be "repaired" in some way (or deleted & will be re-created)?
            • 3. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
              RobW
                 Thanks!  Deleted the Preference files as you suggested & that did the trick.  Learned something new as well.... 
              • 4. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
                swajud_1

I am having a similar problem on a PC. I've tried repairing and reinstalling. The initial spalsh screen stalls and then windows informs me of an error. I have used this software for over a year on the same computer and within the last month it stopped opening.

Is there a comparable preferences solution with a PC, and if so, what are the file paths? If not, what is the solution for a PC?

• 5. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
                  TSGal

swajud:

Thank you for your post.

If the splash screen stalls and displays an error message, what is the error message?  This does not sound like a Preferences issue, so I'd like to get more information before pursuing that route.

To generally answer the question, the preferences are stored in the Windows Registry.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
                    swajud_1

TSGal -

Thanks for your response. I'm stuck on what to do b/c most forums addressing this problem deal with macs. 

What happens is, the splash screen pops up and runs through loading the fonts and autoupdate. Then is says "initializing" and crashes. I get no error message, just windows requesting that I report the error. The Event Viewer records no specifics about this error. 

Like people in this (and other) forums, I have attempted a reinstall of fmp8 and my fmp9 upgrade. Both versions crash on the splash screen.

It worked fine a month ago and I 've been struggling to figure out this problem ever since. 've used filemaker for about a year on this laptop previous to this. The things that I have changed since I was last able to successfully open FMP (which may or may not influence the problem) are: 

1. uninstalled unrelated non-essential programs

2. the wireless network i use now requires a daily security scan, which includes completly up-to-date windows updates (which i had previously turned off) and virus protection (i use symantec, i say that b/c mcafee has been now to cause this issue with fmp v5)

3. installation of a few programs (cranR, maxent...both freeware statistical and ecological analysis programs)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Should I attempt tweaking my preferences? Should I do a custom install (and what features should I select or not)? I'm hoping this doesn't call for a something drastic like wiping my hard drive and starting fresh. 

Thanks. 

• 7. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
                      TSGal

swajud:

Thank you for the additional information, and I apologize for the late reply.

Since this used to work, something has obviously changed.  I would never recommend wiping your hard disk!

Before reinstalling FileMaker Pro 8 (and upgrade to FileMaker Pro 9), did you remove them or just install again?  If the latter, then go into Contole Panel, select "Add or Remove Programs", and select FileMaker Pro 8.  Once completely removed, then re-install FileMaker Pro 8.  Launch FileMaker Pro 8 and see if you crash.  If not, then perform the same steps for FileMaker Pro 9.

If the above still doesn't work, then we need to look more at the system level.  It sounds like you removed all "non-essential programs", but I would also run msconfig and stop all non-Microsoft services.  If this doesn't work, create a new user account and launch FileMaker Pro from there.  Does this work?

Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: when starting Filemaker prog, splash screen displays then prog shuts down.
                        jlisburn

Hi,

I get FM11v3 hanging on launch. No error message, it just doesn't go anywhere, stuck on Loading AutoUpdate. It's running on a virtual PC running XP (sitting on a Mac Lion machine - we need this setup because our Zebra Card print has no Mac driver).

Creating a new user works the first time, I can launch FM. As soon as I quit FM I can't get in, stuck again. Tried it with a handful of new users and have un- & re-installed FM11 multiple times (manually removing any FM files/folders). I've tried repairing the install; same deal. I was able to get in as a new user and disable the AutoUpdate plug-in - no luck there either.

This setup has worked for over a year, and only stopped after an accidental change in a script caused me to select the printer hardcoded into a script.

Appreciate this is an old post but maybe someone has since found a solution.

Cheers