1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 2:41 PM by TSGal

Where can I look for a guide to update Tables?

DonRock

Title

Where can I look for a guide to update Tables?

I have an Issues Database that I modified from the business templates.  I exported the original file from the company database server as an xls file.  I ran a series search and replace strings to normalize the data. There are currently less than 400 records but I expect the size to grow.

I want to be able to download this information on a regular basis from the company database and update the data as records, dates and details are changed/added.  The script would be able to add new records, flag removed records and add details to existing records.  I did this about 10 years ago with a FMP 3-4 database for vendor prices and quotes.  Where should I look for direction?  I am using a trial version of FMP 10 as I just started this protype last week.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Where can I look for a guide to update Tables?
          TSGal

Don Rock:

Thank you for your post.

You should be able to do this with the FileMaker Pro 10 trial version.

Pull down the File menu and select "Export Records".  In the next dialog box, you can name the file, and for File Type, select Excel.  This will export to an Excel file.

Pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> File".  Select the Excel file, and in the next dialog box, you can select the fields you want imported, and in the lower left corner, you will see the option to Update existing records in found set.

Try this out, and if you have any additional questions or need clarification, please contact me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.