6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 5:16 AM by TerryJemison

Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?

TerryJemison

Title

Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?

I'm trying to limit access to browse-only for users who didn't create the record.  I got lost in a help file that suggested auto-entering the record-creator-user's name in a field like Record_Created_By--that part is easy--and then using a calculation when defining custom record access privileges:  Record_Created_By = Get(AccountName)

Using my FMP v.12 user guide and the Help file section "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis," I just can't figure where or how I insert that formula into custom record privileges. Anybody got more clues, or maybe a link to a tutorial or article that would help?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
          philmodjunk

Open manage security

Create or select an Account

Create or select a privilege set for that account and click Edit to edit the privilege set properties

Select "Custom Privileges" in the Records Drop down.

Then, in the "Edit" drop down in the bottom of this dialog that lists all your tables, select "Limited" for the table for which you want to add RLA (Record Level Access control).

• 2. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
            TerryJemison

Ahhh.... it was that Edit dropdown selecting Limited that I was missing... and there's that familiar calc window where I can insert my formula.  Thank you so much!  Works like a champ.

After hours of searching Help and the web yesterday afternoon (and obviously not assimilating things as easily as your listing of just-the-steps), you solved my problem in 10 seconds.  PhilModJunk, you are my hero.

Though we have nightly backups of a frequently used office database, this script seems like an invaluable way to protect data by limiting users' edit/delete ability to only their own records.  In our setting, we don't need collaboration across each others' records and can protect ourselves from the "new intern in a hurry."

• 3. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
              philmodjunk

Your are welcome, but just to get a bit "picky" this is not a script, but rather it is a calculation. Scripts are something you create over in Manage | Scripts. wink

• 4. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
                TerryJemison

Part 2.  Premature celebration.  This all works perfectly as I had expected in terms of for most users, only the person who created the record can edit that record; most other accounts now have similar calculation privileges and cannot.  All can view all records.

The Help file said that there might be unexpected consequences, and there were!  Those with the custom privileges unfortunately have no access to the items under Filemaker’s standard View and Records menus.  That means they can’t create a new record or use Find to search through records they are individually able to view.  Oh my, what have I done wrong?

In the Edit Privilege Set window, I have Records set to custom privileges and “all modifiable” for the other three sections there -- layouts, value lists and scripts.  In that next screen you get if you drag down to the Record “custom privileges” setting, I am using the formula in the help file for my auto-entered user data, or Record_Created_By = Get(AccountName).  So, for the single table I’ve got this formula under “limited” privileges for Edit and Delete. I left View and Create on “yes” and field access is set to “all” –   What can I adjust to allow access to create new records or Find records?

• 5. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
                  philmodjunk

A common Newbie oversight is to create a new privilege set and accidentally set it up with the "available menu commands" set to a too restrictive option. I'd check to see what you've selected in that dropdown--which is found in the lower right hand corner of the privilege set dialog.

• 6. Re: Where do you put a formula defining custom record access?
                    TerryJemison

Wow, that was an easy fix.  How'd I miss that "Available Menu Commands" dropdown?  Again, thank you.