1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2010 1:06 PM by philmodjunk

where in the database design is a given name used?

D.Goldin

Title

where in the database design is a given name used?

I've taken over development/maintenance of an existing FileMaker database,

which has several files (modules) with hairy relationship graphs in each.  I am

looking at the various names appearing in the relationship graphs (i.e. of table 

occurrences or fields) and would like to know where in the database they are

used -- i.e. in which layouts or scripts.  I do not want to manually scan through 

all the scripts and all the layouts in all the modules to get this information.

I currently have FileMaker Pro 10. Is there a way to do it there, or do I need to

buy FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced? Perhaps there is an add-on I can get? I've

tried the "2empowerFM Developer Assistant" plug-in, but it can only search

through scripts in one module at a time, and does not search through

layouts at all. :(

• 1. Re: where in the database design is a given name used?
          philmodjunk

Yes, get filemaker advanced. I've done exactly what you described using database design reports from filemaker advanced.

I open the report in a web browser and use the browsers find tool. If the field or table occurrence doesn't show up anywhere but where it's defined, I know I can delete it.

After you do that, check out the script debugger. That tool alone has saved me countless hours of hair pulling by enabling me to find where a script was messing up.