12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 7:37 AM by mrvodka

Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?

marco96

Title

Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?

Hello everyone,

I have filemaker 9 and I down loaded the business example but I can't find the "how to build this solution learning guide". I have the "fmp9 tutorial" but it is not the one that shows how to build the bps BMB database with the wheel in the main window.

Thank You.

Marco 

• 1. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
          TSGal

marco96:

Thank you for your post.

On the main window (with the wheel), in the upper right corner is a question mark icon.  Click on this icon.  Does this help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
            marco96

Greetings TSGal,

That is where I was reading (in the information page of the "?"). But it is on that page where it says to go to the "How to build this solution learning guide". There is no link to that document and I searched the fmp9 folder and the web site, I just can't find that document.

Thank you for your time 

Marco 

• 3. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
              TSGal

marco96:

When you downloaded the Business Productivity Solution, the folder contains three subfolders.  One of those folders is "bps_How_To_1.0.3".  Inside that folder is the PDF document "How to Build This Solution Yourself".  If you do not have this, let me know, and I'll make arrangements to get it sent to you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                marco96

Thank You,

The download was one folder (BPS_SE) and within that folder is six items... bps__Main_Menu.fp7, bps_Contacts.fp7, bps_Email.fp7, bps_Projects.fp7, bps_Service_Orders.fp7, bps_Servicesfp7. That was it.

Maybe I didn't  download it correctly. I thought I was downloading the "bussiness sulutions" for service companies. I am a handyman, so I am mostly selling labor and small items.

Thank You for your time and offer to help.

Marco. 

• 5. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                  TSGal

marco96:

I have forwarded the PDF file to our Technical Support contact.  He should email the document shortly.  If you haven't received it by tomorrow, then let me know, and when I come in on Monday, I'll make sure you receive the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                    marco96

Thank you for you help. I did get the pdf. I read it and I find it only somewhat helpful, it seams lacking. It isn't really a "How to build this solution"  it is a how to work with it, if you already understand it. I know how to make databases but I do not know how to build relational databases and so on. What is the best way to learn about all of this. I have a handyman business so I thought the "services" solution would be helpful. But the information "?" page is barely helpful. Is there a place to study how to really work the services solution. Am I really expected to jump into that and understand how to work with it? 
                    I get the feeling that filemaker is a program for those who already understand how it works. Or for the programers to charge others to put together solutions. The directions all seam to be partial and incomplete. I am not sure what to do next? Any help would be appreciated. 
                    Thank you.    Marco 
                    • 7. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                      mrvodka

Just like with any application, you will need to do lots of tutorials, read books, articles, forums, etc and practice to understand the basic concepts. Once you have the basic concepts down, understanding how those pre-made solutions work will be much easier.

• 8. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                        Drumm1

I'm with Marco96 on this one, the simple fact that all the marketing bumf for FMP exclaims "the easy way to..." do everything. When in fact it seems that the application only becomes easy once all its documentation has been thoroughly read through, picking out items of relevance and digesting video tutorials before learning by ones mistakes!

Frustrated! 

• 9. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                          DLW-BPEX

Marco,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David 

• 10. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                            mrvodka

Driving a car is easy too once you:

- Learn the laws

- Get your license

- Practice Driving

- Experience driving in weather conditions

With anything it takes experience and knowledge.

• 11. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                              Drumm1

I do Agree mr_vodka and I hope I don't come across as a whining newby...

I just feel that when you download something like the Business Productivity Solution for its HTML email campaign capability (and its claims of an instant productivity solution). The set buttons should allow you to build an email group from your found set instead of individually selecting contact names (for the life of me I cant understand why this isn't a feature).

At least if the solution was more productive straight from the box the end user could increase productivity, then embark on learning the ins and outs of customisation / automisation... As a new user I have to use a lot of hours educating myself on FMP when I should be delighting in the extra productivity...

Anyway, rant over! I do think this software will prove invaluable in future and I thank all on this forum for offering their information and answers...

drumm 

• 12. Re: Where is the "how to build this solution learning guide"?
                                mrvodka

I am in agreement that the sample files could be a lot better. FWIW they finally made most of the files relational just a version ( or perhaps 2 ) ago. The starter sample files have always been ehhh at best IMO. The BPK is something new that FMI finally decided to take on themselves. It used to be a 3rd party product.

Also a better how to or tutorial on the starter files may not be a bad idea for newbies to learn from.