2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 2:49 PM by pandathorax

where to begin with FM? plus a remote connection issue

Title

where to begin with FM? plus a remote connection issue

Hi all. 

Our small business has two employees, and I'm the one that is tasked with solving any and every technology related issue, from creating a logo, CSS/HTML, audio/video editing, and Filemaker. I had to, and will have to, learn all of these things on the go without much prior training.

We have a very solid and trusty FM system built by someone else that has worked without problems for over a decade. Over the past few years, I've figured out how to update stuff like changing 2011schedules to 2012schedules, creating buttons that summon up this year's info. I'm just looking in Scriptmaker and Layout view and figuring it out.

What is the best way to begin understanding how Filemaker works? I don't expect to be doing much more than create forms and editing old ones. 

The more pressing issue is that a storm knocked our power out briefly, restarting the server, and now we can only connect locally (which I figured out!). How do I determine the address needed for that? This has happened before, and I fixed it once, but can't remember what I did.

Filemaker Pro 8.5 with a Mac server
           We're connecting to it with both a Mac and PC.

Thank you for your time. As you can tell, I'm in over my head but willing to learn.