AnsweredAssumed Answered

Where's the bottleneck?

Question asked by AlastairMcInnes on Mar 4, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Where's the bottleneck?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me track down what might be making my database so slow. For example, I just exported about 1000 records and it took 16 minutes.

The database is remotely hosted and I can download the entire database, open the local copy and run the export in well under 10 minutes so, although I may not have the fastest internet connetion in the world, I don't see how that can be the only culprit.

Also, if I want to run something like "Replace Field Contents" on an entire table (only about 50,000 records) it's something I'd set going and leave overnight whereas on a local copy it's the work of a few minutes. 

In the past for very large changes, I've downloaded the database, run the changes and uploaded it again. The problem with this is that I have to make sure that nobody changes anything in the remote version while I'm doing it because of overwriting those changes.

What I'm wondering is why it is so slow on the remote version. Is filemaker copying vast chunks of data to the local machine and making changes before copying it all back?

I'd assume that for, say, the Replace Field Contents, the step would simply run on the remote machine in the same way that it runs on my local one - that is, all that would need to be sent over the connection would be the name of the field and the update to make.

Could it be that we've just got a very slow hosting service? Perhaps they're just hosting the database on an underpowered machine. Is there any way to check these things? 

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any pointers folk can offer on where I might look.

Thanks.

Outcomes