4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 1:56 PM by philmodjunk

Which Field Can I Use?

lego

Title

Which Field Can I Use?

I have a template which display all records listed on a CD (specified by a user).  See http://img339.imageshack.us/i/picture9h.png/

The only problem is that when a user clicks "Find" and enters a CD #, the fields in the portal are transformed into "Find" fields as well. See http://img339.imageshack.us/i/picture8v.png/

The only field in which a user should be able to modify data is the CD# field. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of field for the fields in the portal (currently they're "Edit Boxes")? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance,

lego

• 1. Re: Which Field Can I Use?
          ninja

Howdy lego,

Thanks for the post.

Choose each of the fields you DON'T want to be able to search and change the "Field Behavior" to not be able to enter in Find Mode.

On a PC, select the field and right-click.  On a Mac, look through the top dropdown menus for "Field Behavior".

Enjoy the day!

• 2. Re: Which Field Can I Use?
            lego

Thanks Ninja. Seems like you're knowledgeable about FileMaker. Would you help me out with my other thread Help with custom template ?

Thanks,

lego

• 3. Re: Which Field Can I Use?
              ninja

Howdy lego,

If you check out the right side of the main forum list, there is a leaderboard of "Kudos".  These "kudos" are given by visitors and regular contributors and FMP tech service employees to people who give significant help to them on the board.

You'll notice that PhilModJunk is #1 on that board.  There's a really good reason for that...he knows what he's doing...and he's very experienced....and he helps a lot of people.

I read through the posts on the thread that you referenced and it seems like Phil is right on the money, so I'll choose not to interrupt.  If you feel like he's not helping, its probably because you don't understand the help he's giving...tell him what you're having trouble understanding so that he can explain it.  It's everyone's desire to not only solve todays problem, but also to teach you how to solve them for yourself.  I don't have a problem saying that Phil is more knowledgeable than I...I wouldn't want to get in the way of his support to you.

Thanks for the compliment, but I think you'll be best served by working with Phil.

Have a great night!

• 4. Re: Which Field Can I Use?
                philmodjunk

Ninja gives good advice to other too (and I'm not talking about the very nice compliment you just posted :smileywink: )

If you want Ninja's input, I don't mind, the more the merrier and if you don't get what I'm explaining, just keep asking questions and all who participate will keep on plugging away with you.