First of all, you must understand that FileMaker Pro is not Bento. You may find better ways to do what you are doing in Bento. Some Bento features are not as easy to implement in FileMaker Pro. That being said, here are some answers:
- URLs (must hyperlink) - no problems - you can create a button that jumps to a web browser or even use a web viewer in FileMaker Pro to view the web page in situ.
- Searchable (keywording) - yes of course
- Clickable iTunes style 1-5 star ratings (that use xls data from an excel spreadsheet that is currently numbered 1-5) - a little harder on the interface, not a standard feature but could be simulated
- Drop down boxes as data options within a spreadsheet (as per Bento) - definitely
- Images and videos linked to each entry (viewable in a similar style to Bento's split screen interface) - could be done
- Image/Video zoom in option (as per Bento) - not really but I haven't seen how Bento operates
- Optional pretty interfaces with custom layouts (as per Bento) - as pretty as you can create but there are a number of layout templates available
- The ability to hold over 20,000 rows of information, each with linked images (apprx 1Gb of jpeg and/or similar media files) - no problem, file size limit is 8TB!!!
- Sort columns by various data types (alphabetically, numerically etc) - no problems
"When attaching a jpeg or similar media file to a piece of data, will Filemaker copy this file or always access it from the original source? I hope it copies it, and thus the database I create acts as a 'whole' and can be saved, moved, archived etc."You have a choice when inserting an image into a container field - stored or linked (as a reference). The default is what you want - copied in.Hope that helps
- Shared over my various computers- ie 1 database that several users can work on / with. - that is where FileMaker Pro shines over Bento - multiple users but also can be mixed Mac and PC.
- Eventually shared with a larger community of users (anything upto 500 users) with the necessary tools for protection, security, administrative etc etc. - how would you do this? Via a web interface. Doable.
Very very helpful uLearnIT.
Many thanks - although which version of Filemaker are you generally referencing here? All of them (bar the server - 500 users issue)?
Many thanks - this has saved me hours upon hours of research.
Thank you for your post.
All of the options that uLearnIT answered are available in FileMaker Pro 10. If you are going to share this with 500 users, then you will definitely need FileMaker Server in addition.