2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 3:54 PM by sksmith2517

Which is best in this situation: Multiple Files or Multiple Tables?

sksmith2517

Title

Which is best in this situation: Multiple Files or Multiple Tables?

I have used the Contact Management Template to create a file that has multiple tables.  The file is for a District Office and it contains a Contact Table and a Church Table and it is working very well.  Now I want to add events - several different events - a Ladies' Retreat, a Pastors' Briefings, etc.  So is it better to create multiple tables within the same file based upon the Contact management? Or is it better to use the Event management template and have various tables for each event?  In reading the documentation it states use multiple files if you think you'd use them in a variety of solutions - I'm not sure I would.  The events would draw participants from the people in Contact Management. 

Whichever way is better, I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions. But I don't want to start down the wrong road.  Thanks for any advice before I begin.

• 1. Re: Which is best in this situation: Multiple Files or Multiple Tables?
          philmodjunk

It's not a simple issue and different developers have different preferences. For new users, keeping all your tables in one file is probably best as that simplifies a few issues.

Some developers split their files into two parts. Part one has all the layouts, scripts etc that make up the user interface and part two has just the data tables. With that option, they can deploy an updated interface file and not have to import any data from the existing solution.

Other developlers group their files into modules so that they can mix and match modules for different solutions and updates may require just importing data from one file's table instead of the whole table set.

On the other hand, this can make for a much more complex system to manage and you have to be careful of any changes to filenames and possibly where they are located so as not to "break" the external file references.

• 2. Re: Which is best in this situation: Multiple Files or Multiple Tables?
            sksmith2517

Thanks - the lady I'm working with decided she wanted them all together - she is brand new to FMPro. So that's what we're doing. i appreciate your description of possible scenarios.