1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 1:43 PM by philmodjunk

Which sharing method?

basilisk2

Title

Which sharing method?

I have made a simple FM 10 database using FM Pro 10 Advanced which I want both my secretary and myself to work on. We have a small mixed platform network hosted on a Mac OS X Server system. Currently, we use that to serve files between users as needed. She will need to access the file when I am not in the office, and I cannot leave my computer switched on with the file open for security reasons. I am really confused about my options and need help deciding which path to go down. I would prefer not to go to the expense of buying FM Pro Server. We will both need to update the db from time to time. Which method should I use?

1. Use a 3rd computer (not the existing file server) to host only the FM db using FM Sharing? (3 copies of FM needed +plus one spare computer)
      2. As 1) but using IWP? (1 copy of FM needed + one spare computer) 
      3. Store FM file on existing server and open file using file server functions of Mac OSX Server? (2 copies of FM needed, possibility of problems when both try to open file at same time)
      4. Create a MySQL database and link to it via ODBC connections (2 copies of FM needed)
      5. Use a Runtime application in some way? (Not sure if this could update the FM db file) (1 copy of FM needed)
      6. Use FM Server (1 server copy + 2 client copies of FM needed = too expensive)
      7. Some other solution?

TIA

• 1. Re: Which sharing method?
          philmodjunk

Your options pretty much consist of 1 and 2. The others are either potentially dangerous (3) or needlessly expensive/complex.

Using a dedicated 3rd computer setup to host the files with filemaker pro for you and your secretary to access via Open Remote... is the simplest to set up.

Using IWP is cheaper, but IWP has built in interface limitations due to requiring a web browser for accessing a file and a bit more effort getting everything configured correctly. It would offer the possibility that you could access the database from any computer while traveiling, however.

I hesitate to suggest this, but there's a third possibility:
          Host the file from your computer while you are in the office, but drag a copy onto your secretary's machine when you leave and drag her copy back onto your's when you return. That works, but you end up with different copies of the data on two different machines with the very real chance you could both end up accidently working with different copies of the same file...