Thank you for your post.
1. Go to your "country" layout, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".
2. Pull down the View menu and select "Object Info". A new modal window will appear titled "Info".
3. Click the first tab, and then the inside of the first tab, so that there are four handles surrounding the entire tab panel.
4. In the "Object Info" window, enter the Object name: "FirstTab".
5. Pull down the Scripts menu and select "Manage Scripts..."
6. Click the New icon in the bottom left corner of the Manage Scripts dialog box.
7. Change the Script Name from "New Script" to "First Tab"
8. Under the script steps, select "Go to Object".
9. Click on "Specify...", and enter for the Object Name "FirstTab" (in quotes).
10. Click OK and save the script.
11. While still in Layout Mode, pull down the Layouts Menu and select "Layout Setup..."
12. Click on the "Script Triggers" tab, and check the fifth option "OnLayoutLoad"
13. Select the script "First Tab", and click OK.
Go to Browse Mode, select the second tab. Switch layouts, and switch back to the "country" layout. You will see tab #1 is active.
If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.