6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 7:15 PM by icecreamboy

While entering text...

icecreamboy

Title

While entering text...

Hi,

I have FileMaker 11, Windows XP.

Right now it seems that while I'm entering data in Browse mode, the background of the active field turns white. Is there any way to change this to transparent?

The backstory: I have an anatomical picture of a person and I need a way to be able to mark various spots on its body with x's. So I decided to insert the picture, and put a transparent field over it filled with a lot of spaces. Then in Browse mode I can click on the spot and type an "x" as text to mark the spot. The small problem is that when I click into the field to make it active, the background turns white so I can't see the picture behind it anymore. I know there's a way to insert the picture into a container field as an object and edit in MS paint, but my way seems more convenient to me, especially if I can get the above question resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• 1. Re: While entering text...
          icecreamboy

Hmm just realized this doesn't work because Filemaker only allows 255 characters to be auto-entered, and I'd need to fill up the whole field with spaces...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :(

• 2. Re: While entering text...
            icecreamboy

Oop, ignore my last message! I just realized I could make a button that fills the field with spaces...

• 3. Re: While entering text...
              nolak37

Not sure how practical this solution is but you could try creating several checkboxes in key areas and have the user just check them off as needed

• 4. Re: While entering text...
                icecreamboy

Thanks yoshi for the suggestion. I have thought of that as well, and it does work fairly well but I would need to make a ton of fields, one for each potenial "key area". The problem with that is that I need a lot of versatility, any spot can be just as important as almost any other spot, so I'd flood the database with like 500 fields just to make checkbox marks.

• 5. Re: While entering text...
                  raybaudi

icecreamboy wrote:

The small problem is that when I click into the field to make it active, the background turns white so I can't see the picture behind it anymore.

It CAN be made, exactly as you did... and I'm pleased that you asked because, before 10, it was very difficult to do.

The field background turns white ONLY for a fraction of second if you attach to that a field a trigger OnObjectEnter, so you have the time to see the picture and to enter the "x".

The script to fire is very easy, something like:

Set Field [ Let(
                  char = Middle ( Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) ; 1 ) ;
                  Case(
                  char = " " ; Replace ( Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) ; 1 ; "x" ) ;
                  Replace ( Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) ; 1 ; " " )
                  )
                  ) ]
                  Commit Records/Requests [ ]

• 6. Re: While entering text...
                    icecreamboy

WOW this was brilliant!! Thanks raybaudi, that was an amazing solution, I could never have come up with something like that!