6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 6:15 AM by Quarterly

Why are portal fields deleting?

Quarterly

Title

Why are portal fields deleting?

A few times I have noticed my portal fields are blank. I think it happens after I go into edit layout mode. The information remains on the table the portal is linked to, so all is not lost, and it will only be the record I had open when I went into edit mode. Why would the portal for that particular record suddenly empty? I should add that the rest of the fields on that record remain the same.

• 1. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
          philmodjunk

No way to tell from here.

Is the entire portal record disappearing or just certain fields within the portal show as blank?

If only certain fields, are the fields that appear blank all from the same table occurrence (box in Relationships graph and specified in table drop down at top of specify fields dialog--double click a field while in layout mode to see this dialog and check.), while other fields that still show data are from another table occurrence?

If the entire record is missing from the portal, is there a filter on the portal?

• 2. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
            LaRetta_1

""and it will only be the record I had open when I went into edit mode.""

A thought ... if the related record exists when you view it from the portal's table but it no longer displays in the portal then I would suspect that the key which binds the relationship has gone missing.  This can happen in a few ways; two of the most likely causes would be: 1) the parent key for that portal relationship is a global and the file has been closed and reopened or 2) the foreign key (the parent's primary key) in the child table has been removed which 'orphans' the child from the parent.

However, "I should add that the rest of the fields on that record remain the same." makes me suspect that it is a refresh issue if other fields on the same portal rows still display on your parent record.  Is the field a calculation which contains a reference to another related summary or calculation?  Create a script with simple:  Refresh Window [ flush cache ] and the next time it happens, see if the field fills in.

• 3. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
              Quarterly

It's a pretty simple table and relationship. There is a sort on the portal by date, but that's about it. And everything in the portal is gone, not just specific fields. It doesn't happene every time I open the editor, I've just noticed it a couple of times. I'd like to stop it before it becomes a problem instead of a nuissance. It's as though it has been reset. When I use editor, I'm generally changing letter templates with merge fields. Could that have something to do with it?

Keys are all intact from what I can see.

Thank you both for your help in trying to figure this out.

• 4. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
                philmodjunk

Yes but what is the relationship? And what is the sort order?

If you go to a layout for the portal's table and do a find, can you find the record there?

If you edit a field that is part of the relationship so that it no longer is related to the current record, entering layout mode and then returning causes the screen to refresh and since the record is no longer linked to your current record, it disappears from the portal, but not from the portal's table.

Also, if your edit changes a field that is specified in the portal's (or portal relationship's) sort order, the same screen referesh will cause the record to drop into a different position in the sort order. If you have a blank record or group of blank records that sort to the top of the portal, this may cause the portal record to drop from view until you scroll down and see it in its new position.

• 5. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
                  LaRetta_1

"And everything in the portal is gone, not just specific fields."
                  "I should add that the rest of the fields on that record remain the same."

Well it was confusing because the title of this thread is "Why are portal fields deleting?" and the above two sentences seem to contradict each other although I'm sure there is reality and logic behind both of your statements."

"When I use editor ..."

Do you mean the Data Viewer?

"When I use editor, I'm generally changing letter templates with merge fields."

Do you mean when you are in layout mode? 

We could continue grasping at straws but I still don't understand what specifically is being deleted.  If certain field data 'goes away' and then comes back later, it might be a refresh issue which I have already mentioned.  We both now, Phil and I, have asked to know more about your setup and until we do, I doubt we can diagnose the problem no matter how much we'd like to help you solve it.

• 6. Re: Why are portal fields deleting?
                    Quarterly

"Yes but what is the relationship?" contactID, First Name, Last Name = contactID, First Name, Last Name

"And  what is the sort order?" Date Received, Ascending

"If you go to a layout for the portal's table and do a find, can you  find the record there?" Yes.

"If you edit a field that is part of the relationship so that it no  longer is related to the current record, entering layout mode and then  returning causes the screen to refresh and since the record is no longer  linked to your current record, it disappears from the portal, but not  from the portal's table.

Also, if your edit changes a field that is specified in the portal's  (or portal relationship's) sort order, the same screen referesh will  cause the record to drop into a different position in the sort order. If  you have a blank record or group of blank records that sort to the top  of the portal, this may cause the portal record to drop from view until  you scroll down and see it in its new position." This sounds like what is happening, thank you!

" 'And everything in the portal is gone,  not just specific fields.' "
                    " 'I should add that the rest of the fields on that record remain the  same.' "

"Well it was confusing because the title of this thread is 'Why are  portal fields deleting?' and the above two sentences seem to contradict  each other although I'm sure there is reality and logic behind both of  your statements." I have a layout with a portal on it, but there are more fields on the layout than just the portal. I am only having trouble with the fields in the portal.

"When I use editor ..."

Do you mean the Data Viewer? I mean when I click the button for "Edit Layout" and the inspector comes into play.

"When I use editor, I'm generally changing letter templates with  merge fields."

Do you mean when you are in layout mode? Yes. Is there another way to edit information in merge fields? I'd like to know for another issue I've run into.

We could continue grasping at straws but I still don't understand  what specifically is being deleted. the fields in my portal are being cleared, but only on one record, not across the database.

If certain field data 'goes away'  and then comes back later, they do not come back later

it might be a refresh issue which I have  already mentioned.  We both now, Phil and I, have asked to know more  about your setup and until we do, I doubt we can diagnose the problem no  matter how much we'd like to help you solve it.

And I thank you for your help! I'm not terribly familiar with all of the FM terms so it is difficult to understand all the questions you asked, even with my giant manual on the program. I will keep working through it when I have a chance. I think it is likely the refresh thing, I just have to figure out what it is that I have changed to cause the problem. I have a test database that I can and will use to work it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.