3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 9:35 AM by philmodjunk

Why aren't dates allowed using calendar?

brett_

Title

Why aren't dates allowed using calendar?

I have a date field that is set to use the popup calendar.  Once I select a date (today for example), I get this error:

This field is defined to contain a valid

date in the range of years 1 to 4000 and

should look like "12/25/2003" (four-digit

year).  You must enter a valid value.

I then have to revert the value back to blank.  I have the field formatted as above but the popup calendar inserts values as:

3 10 2011

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

• 1. Re: Why aren't dates allowed using calendar?
          philmodjunk

Do you have any auto enter field options specified for this field?

What system settings have you specified for dates on your computer?

If you create a brand new database file, define a field of type date and then repeat this formatting and test with it, do you get the same results?

• 2. Re: Why aren't dates allowed using calendar?
            brett_

Where do I check about auto enter?

System formats are:
            Wednesday, Jan 5, 11
            January 5, 2011
            Jan 5, 2011
            Wed, Jan 5, 11 

If I type in the date, it formats correctly and there are no issues.

If I create a new database, specify field type as Date and use the drop down calendar, I get the same exact error.  If I type in the date, it is fine.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Why aren't dates allowed using calendar?
              philmodjunk

I was looking for a system setting that might specify the space as a default date delimitter.

Auto enter options can be checked by double clicking a field's definition in Manage | Database | Fields, but don't bother with that. If that were the issue, your test with a brand new file rules out that possibility (as well as the possibility that this is due to a corrupted file or layout).

I'm thinking that something odd has happened with your Install of  FileMaker Pro. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker to see if that makes a difference.