AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why does client's IT department resist Filemaker?

Question asked by CarlaS on Aug 26, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 by CarlaS

Title

I created a Filemaker job tracking database solution for the marketing department of a large insurance conglomerate all the way back in 1998.  I think we were using FM 4 at the time.  Over the years, we have added functionality and other modifications just about every year.  Last year we upgraded to Filemaker 10 Advanced and Filemaker 10 Server Advance (from FM 5) and made major renovations to the database.   Throughout all of this time, the marketing department managers and users have been pleased with the database and it's ability to adapt to new work flow situations.  They have always liked my attitude that if it is logical, I can make FM do it.  The marketing department has never had any problems whatsoever with Filemaker.  The ONLY problem the department has had with their FM database is their IT department's absolute refusal to support or even acknowlege FM as a viable solution for anything. 

Can anyone please explain to me the IT departments position?  Why so much resistance?

Thanks! 

Carla

BACKGROUND INFO:  We are using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced and Filemaker Server 10 Advanced. Filemaker Server Advanced is running on a Windows PC server. We have about 25 Filemaker client users (both Mac & PC). We also have non-Filemaker client users for employees company wide to access a couple of layouts via Custom Web Publishing. The cleint has been using this Filemaker database since 1998. I personally have been using Filemaker since the late 1980’s when it was called Claris Works. We just recently upgraded from Filemaker 5 to Filemaker 10 and are in the process of a major overhaul of the entire database. Records in the main table represent individual marketing jobs (usually print jobs - i.e. brochure, forms book, mailer, etc.). Then, we have about 18 related tables for tracking various aspects of a job through the production schedule, from job initiation to completion. It tracks milestone due dates, design specs, licensing information, inventory, distribution, costs, ordering, etc.

Outcomes