1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 9:13 AM by philmodjunk

Why does Filemaker insert from 2 to 4 blank records at the beginning when I sort my records?

MichaelMcGuire

Title

Why does Filemaker insert from 2 to 4 blank records at the beginning when I sort my records?

Whenever I ask for a sort of my records, regardless of the parameter I use, there are always from 2 to 4 blank records at the beginning of the sorted records when it finishes, and i cannot remove them. Since I don't feel that I can afford to pay for tech support (and that's another issue altogether) to find what is probably a simple solution, I am asking here. I only recently purchased and began using FileMaker to create a database of all my business contacts, and the actual creation of the records is incredibly esy once it is set up . Now this has arisen and there doesn't seem to be any information anywhere in the materials provided with the program about it.

Thanks to any who might be able to help.

Michael

• 1. Re: Why does Filemaker insert from 2 to 4 blank records at the beginning when I sort my records?
          philmodjunk

Are you sorting your records by choosing sort from the records menu or by running a script?

Just selecting Sort from the records menu should not create new blank records, but if you are sorting in the default ascending order, any blank records will automatically sort to the top.

Since you are unable to delete these records, it's very possible that your file is damaged or that a field's index is corrupted.

Try recovering the file and test the recovered file (even if no problems are reported) to see if the recovered file works.

Best practice is to not use recovered files, but to import the data from them into a clone of an undamaged back up file if that is at all possible.

You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

If you have FileMaker 11, you can also use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.

1. Select "Use advanced Options"
          2. Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".