2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 3:22 PM by pbedouk

Why is an inch not an inch?

pbedouk

Title

Why is an inch not an inch?

Hi

I set my layout size to be 12 inches wide by 6 inches tall.  The horizontal and vertical rulers on 'edit layout'  say 12 x 6.  Hurray!!

When I measue with my real handheld physical ruler, the layout is 9 by 4.5 inches.  It seems that 1 filemaker inch is realy only 3/4 of a real inch.

What's going on?  Is there a way to set a layout size to correspond to the physical world?

I'm sure I'm missing something basic here.

Thanks

Peter.  FM12 P Adv, iMac, OS X 10.8.2

• 1. Re: Why is an inch not an inch?
          davidanders

If you are measuring the screen and not output, these links and from onscreen rulers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=onscreen+ruler

• 2. Re: Why is an inch not an inch?
            pbedouk

Thanks for the lead to these ruler thingys.  They are really handy.

As far as my original question goes, I think the answer is related to pixels/inch, which in turn is related to the resolution of the screen.

I develop on a Mac with a screen of 1920 x 1200 resolution, or approximately 96 pixels/inch.  When I scale the resolution on the display down to about 72 pixels/inch, an inch on the display is about inch on the physical ruler.  

When developing a solution for deployment on another computer I guess we need to know the screen resolution of that computer and design the layout size accordingly.

You guys probably alreadty knew that, but I didn't!

Thanks for your response.  It helped.