14 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 10:21 AM by philmodjunk

Why would drop down not work all the time?

AramTokatian

Title

Why would drop down not work all the time?

Folks:

I have built my DB now, and in browse mode I have a couple of fields using drop down lists. There are times where the drop down lists will not drop down and let me enter data? If I close out the DB and re-open the file, it starts working again. Could someone post reasons why that might occur?

Aramsurprise

• 1. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
          philmodjunk

There are multiple options that can be selected, in Manage | value lists, Manage | database and in the inspector that can affect how a drop down list or pop up menu functions. Script triggers might also play a role.

Off hand, closing and reopening the database, commits all records currently open for editing and destroys the value of all global variables. In a hosted database, global fields will also revert to their original values. Any of those details might affect how a particular drop down list functions.

So you'll need to describe exactly how you've set up this drop down list--how you set it up on your layout (is the field from the same Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? as the layout's table occurrence?) and what options you specified in Manage | value lists and on the Data tab of the inspector.

• 2. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
            AramTokatian

Is there a way to attach my database to this post?

• 3. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
              philmodjunk

You can upload a file to a sharing site such as Drop Box and then post the download link to that shared file here. But if you do, please provide a detailed description of what part of what layout is showing the issues you've encountered so that anyone examining your file can quickly find the right part of your database to examine.

An alternative to that would be to simply describe how you set up your value list and layout in more detail.

• 4. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                AramTokatian

Okie doke.. there are only two drop down list fields PF and Status. PF settings first:

• 5. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                  AramTokatian

Now Status

• 6. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                    AramTokatian

And Database settings...PASS_FAIL and Test Status are the drop down fields.

• 7. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                      philmodjunk

And how is your layout setup?

Is it a layout based on a Table named "Table"? (Not a good name to use here) or is it based on some other table in your system?

When your value list fails to appear, how many records are in your found set at that time? (You won't be able to deploy the value list if there are no records in your found set. Next time this happens, select Show All Records and try again and see if that resolves the problem.)

• 8. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                        AramTokatian

Thank you, Yes three views- named: Table (viewed as an entry form), Layout #1 (Viewed like a spreadsheet), Layout #2 (Also viewed like a spreadsheet). I am a bit new to this software, so still learning all the ins and outs yet. Attached is table view.

Here is how I get it to fail: I go to my Layout #3 copy and paste a revision number into a new record, then go back to table view (form). When I am back in form, the drop down list ceases to function. Attached to this post is the screen shot I get. Notice "Show All" is blanked out, and "Layout:Layout #3" is shown.

A...

• 9. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                          philmodjunk

I can see a drop down list with 4 values in the list. How is this an example of a drop down list that ceases to function? what more do you expect it to do at this point?

• 10. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                            AramTokatian

It intermittently will not allow you to make a selection. It locks you out, unless I close out the file and reopen it, Or I go on to some other task within the DB, and perhaps come back to it, then it starts accepting selected entries. When this happens, the other drop down  (pass/fail) field also does the same thing.

Why would the upper left corner show "Layout: Layout #3" when it should show "Table" which is the view I am looking at?

A..

• 11. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                              philmodjunk

"Layout #3" is the name of your current layout, not the name of the table on which it is based and this is not determined by the view option (list, form or table) you might have selected for this layout.

Does that mean that you can get the value list to appear, but you can't select a value from it. Exactly what happens?

Can you upload a screen shot of this layout taken when it is in Layout Mode?

• 12. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                                AramTokatian

On another note. I notice the drop down list stops working when I click the cursor into any field on any specific record, unless I first click on the drop down fields... Weird.

• 13. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                                  AramTokatian

"Layout #3" is the name of your current layout, not the name of the table on which it is based and this is not determined by the view option (list, form or table) you might have selected for this layout.

Does that mean that you can get the value list to appear, but you can't select a value from it. Exactly what happens?

Can you upload a screen shot of this layout taken when it is in Layout Mode?

Okay on your first paragraph; Yes, I can get the drop down list to drop down, but it will not insert the selection into the field. It just stays blank. See attached per your request.

• 14. Re: Why would drop down not work all the time?
                                    philmodjunk

That last screen shot rules out the possibility that your fields are located in the header--which can have issues in some versions of FileMaker.

So far, I do not see anything in the design of the database that explains the issues that you are having. With the design shown, you should not have drop downs that only work part of the time. I can conceive of an issue that would keep it from working all of the time--a data type mismatch between the value list's values and the data type specified for the field, but not intermittent failures.

I am beginning to suspect that your layout may be damaged unless there is a script trigger being tripped to perform a script when when you attempt to use these value lists. In that case the script may only work part of the time due to how the script is written.

I suggest creating a brand new layout based on the same table occurrence, "Table". recreate one or two of these problem field/value list combinations without copy and pasting any layout objects from the original layout. Then test them to see if they show the same issues. If there is a design issue or damage specific to the original layout, they should work as expected on this new layout.