3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

will a proximity card reader work along side filemaker?

johnfoulds

Title

will a proximity card reader work along side filemaker?

hi all

im very new to filemaker and im in a bit of a pickle. i have set up a database which holds details of members of a nightclub. can i programme a proximity card with data from filemaker so as when a member entering our nightclub swipes his card, his record will be shown on screen???

thanks

John

• 1. Re: will a proximity card reader work along side filemaker?
          philmodjunk

Probably,

I've implemented MSR (mag strip reader) and Barcode reader solutions and it's pretty simple to set up. Contact the supplier for the reader and find out if it operates in keyboard emulation mode. Find out if you can program it to append text to the beginning and end of the data it reads from the card. In keyboard emulation mode, the reader feeds text from the scan into your computer just as though it had been typed from the keyboard and that's how most of these widgets are designed to work.

You can then use OnKeystroke script triggers on a filemaker layout to select a field to recieve the scanned data (that's why you want to put text such as a control character at the beginning of the scanned data) and script trigger on this field that responds to the text added to the end of the scan to process the scanned data in the manner you need. OnKeystroke can be used for this second script or you can program a return or enter key to the end of the scan and use OnObjectExit on the field to perform the script.

• 2. Re: will a proximity card reader work along side filemaker?
            johnfoulds

thanks for the quick reply.  tbh iv not got a clue about scrpiting and control characters etc :( il try my best

• 3. Re: will a proximity card reader work along side filemaker?
              philmodjunk

If you search this forum for "barcode" you should be able to pop up a few other discussions of this technique.

In the mean time, if you plan to use filemaker to create your solutions, you'll need to get up to speed on scripting and other aspects of how FileMaker works. There are books and tutorials available and you are welcome to post specific questions here.

PS. a control character is what you get when you hold down the control key and press another key on the keyboard. I use "ctrl caps lock ~" to trigger a response to scans on my MSR enabled solution.