Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?

brett_

Title

Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?

My times are currently:

3:15
      2:30
      11:15

Of course the problem is you can't tell if that is AM or PM and sorting doesn't work right.  If I manually start changing all of these times to 24 hour format, will that cause any problems? My system is not in 24 hour format.

When I import certain dates, they will come in as the above format (no AM/PM).  Is there a way to convert them to 24 hour format?

• 1. Re: Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?
          philmodjunk

Is your field of type text or type time? It looks like your field is of type text when it should be of type time.

Time fields will sort and display correctly whith the needed am pm designations automatically displayed. if you use 12 hour format. Changing the displayed format to 24 format will not change the internal value and they will continue to sort correctly.

A bigger question is how you would tell that 3:15 is 3:15 am or 3;15 pm if there is no such designation in the imported data. If you import this data into a time field, FileMaker will assume 3:15 am, I believe. If you can modify the data to be imported to be in 24 hour format or include the am pm designations, you'll get better results when you import in to your time field.

• 2. Re: Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?
            brett_

These fields are of type Time.

When I import, I know if it is AM/PM since I'm importing around 12 hour periods.  

In summary for my case, it seems going to 24 hour format is ok and will not cause issues?  

But I will also need to change to 24 format manually, case by case right?

• 3. Re: Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?
              philmodjunk

When I import, I know if it is AM/PM since I'm importing around 12 hour periods.  

You know, but FileMaker does not. It is intrepeting all the times as PM and this is very likely incorrect. You can format the field to display am or pm and it sounds like you will see all your times as am if you do.

But I will also need to change to 24 format manually, case by case right?

You can use data formatting on the inspector's data tab to specify the format for which the data is displayed on your layouts. This does not change the stored value only how it is displayed. The key issue is to make sure that the 12 hour formatted data is correctly imported for the correct half of the day. If your imported data is already formatted in 24 hour format, this issue is avoided.

(Time fields are actually number fields with speical formatting. They record the time elapsed in seconds from midnight of the day before. The 12 hour and 24 hour formatting, whether you see hours, hours and minutes, hours, minutes and seconds are all just display options for the same data.)

• 4. Re: Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?
                brett_

For 24 hour time, I'm not using any separator.  So it looks like 1005 for 10:05 AM.  Is there a way to have a leading zero only for three digit times?  Such as:

305 = 0305
                505 = 0505

When I select to use a leading zero, i get:

1005 = 01005
                505 = 0505

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Will changing to 24 hour cause issues?
                  philmodjunk

Yes and no. You have to use a separator when entering the time so that FileMaker can tell hours from minutes, but once entered and you leave the field, the displayed value can omit the separator and add a leading zero for hours, but not minutes.

There are ways to use an auto-enter calculation that might avoid the need to enter a separator during data entry--but it will require consistent numbers of digits for hours and minutes or you'll have the same problem: telling the hours from the minutes.