1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 3:14 PM by Jens Teich

Will later versions of FM read and manipulate files created in FM 4.0?

imhc

Title

Will later versions of FM read and manipulate files created in FM 4.0?

I have all my company invoices and customer data-bases on a small stand-alone computer for a one-man business.  I have always used version 4.0 (created in Dec 1994), however I cannot email individual invoices and the whole computer is starting to creak, so I need to replace it.

If I purchase a later version of filemaker will it still read my files and various data-bases?  I am somewhat technologically challenged! so any solution needs to be simple.

Any ideas of which version I can puchase and install that does nor require a degree in computing

• 1. Re: Will later versions of FM read and manipulate files created in FM 4.0?
          Jens Teich
             FileMaker currently sells version 10 which is able to convert your old FP3 file into the newer FP7 file format.

Just open the file with the new version and it will tell you what to do. If you have more than one file, open all of them simultaniously by dragging all the files onto the FM app symbol.

There was a major change between v6 and v7 which in some cases causes problems. But don't worry and simply thy it. Ask again if you are facing problems.

Jens