AnsweredAssumed Answered

Win and OSX runtime and binding key

Question asked by synergy46 on Aug 30, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 by synergy46

Title

Win and OSX runtime and binding key

I am running FMP 12 v2 Advanced.  I have access to a Windows 7 computer but develop on a Mac with Mountain Lion.

I have several users of my app that run the app on a Windows computer but need the ability to take the data file and update it on OSX.

The FM Advanced documentation says: Important Binding installs system files pertaining to each platform. If your solution will be used in Windows, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Windows. If your solution will be used on Mac OS X, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. If you’re creating a solution to be used on both Windows and the Mac OS X, create two separate runtime solutions by binding the original solution files twice: once using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Windows, and again using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. Use the same binding key on both platforms.

What does this 'look like'?  From reading the forums it seems like I would FIRST create a Windows runtime and copy the binding key.  THEN, I would transfer the 80mb Win runtime folder to my Mac.  Then I would create a Mac runtime, using the copied Win Folder as the 'target' but would USE THE COPIED BINDING KEY from the windows RT creation.

The resulting (probably 200mb) folder would hold both the Windows and Mac versions and would give the user the ability to start in either mode accessing the same 'data file'. 

Do I have this right????

Thanks

Outcomes