2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 5:55 PM by synergy46

Win and OSX runtime and binding key

synergy46

Title

Win and OSX runtime and binding key

I am running FMP 12 v2 Advanced.  I have access to a Windows 7 computer but develop on a Mac with Mountain Lion.

I have several users of my app that run the app on a Windows computer but need the ability to take the data file and update it on OSX.

The FM Advanced documentation says: Important Binding installs system files pertaining to each platform. If your solution will be used in Windows, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Windows. If your solution will be used on Mac OS X, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. If you’re creating a solution to be used on both Windows and the Mac OS X, create two separate runtime solutions by binding the original solution files twice: once using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Windows, and again using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. Use the same binding key on both platforms.

What does this 'look like'?  From reading the forums it seems like I would FIRST create a Windows runtime and copy the binding key.  THEN, I would transfer the 80mb Win runtime folder to my Mac.  Then I would create a Mac runtime, using the copied Win Folder as the 'target' but would USE THE COPIED BINDING KEY from the windows RT creation.

The resulting (probably 200mb) folder would hold both the Windows and Mac versions and would give the user the ability to start in either mode accessing the same 'data file'. 

Do I have this right????

Thanks

• 1. Re: Win and OSX runtime and binding key
          davidanders

The database (actual filemaker file) is by default set to YourDatabaseName.usr (usr can be set to any 3 or 4 letter extension)
          OR multiple databases if your solution is not one database.

If you copy or remove the YourDatabaseName.usr and rename to YourDatabaseName.FP7 it will open in Filemaker 7 thru 11.

In Filemaker OPEN Dialog you can select "All Files" and it will open the .usr file.

If you create WIN and Mac runtimes with the same name, extension, and bind key, you can move the DATABASE file from one FOLDER WIN / Mac to the other.

http://www.dwaynewright.com/filemaker-terms/2009/8/13/bind-key.html

"In the runtime building process, FileMaker does not alter your original solution files during this process. What it does is create copies of your solution files that are bound to a limited FileMaker engine. A runtime solution will only work with the files that are bound to it. So if your solution have four FileMaker files, they will work great together with they are bound together.

The linking between the runtime engine and the FileMaker files is accomplished via a bind key. This “under the hood” attachment allows your runtime solution to interact with a multiple file FileMaker solution. This binding process can work for existing runtime solutions.

You can bind new files to a solution as long as you keep the bind key consistent. So it is possible to add a new file to a customers runtime solution as long as the bind key is consistent. This is commonly used for additional user interfaces that use a common centralized data file."

VERY GOOD READ
          Using FileMaker 12 Runtime files with FileMaker Go 12
          http://hbase.net/2012/04/15/filemaker-12-databases-want-to-be-free/

• 2. Re: Win and OSX runtime and binding key
            synergy46

Thanks for the information. 

From a practical standpoint, What does this 'look like'?  From reading the forums it seems like I would FIRST create a Windows runtime and copy the binding key.  THEN, I would transfer the 80mb Win runtime folder to my Mac.  Then I would create a Mac runtime, using the copied Win Folder as the 'target' but would USE THE COPIED BINDING KEY from the windows RT creation.  Is this right?