2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 11:40 AM by mattb

Window focus issues

mattb

Title

Window focus issues

Let's say I have an app with 2 windows - 1 large, 1 small.  The small window comes up on top of the big window and the cursor is in a edit

field on the small window.  I would like to be able to click into the larger window's area with the mouse but still have the smaller window showing.

What happens now when I click away is that the small window disappears behind the big one and can only be brought back by manually selecting

the now-disappeared window using the Windows pulldown menu.

In Visual Foxpro, it was easy (sigh).  You could set the AlwaysOnTop property of a given window to True and if the mouse was clicked away from

such a window, the inactive window remained visible and on top of the now-active underlying window.  

Any way to duplicate such behavior in FMP??

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Window focus issues
          TSGal

mattb:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro always puts the Window you are modifying on top.  That is, you cannot modify a window while another window is in the foreground.

I recommend that you enter this into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I can easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

When entering the request, please specify what you are trying to accomplish and why you want this feature.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Window focus issues
            mattb

FileMaker Pro always puts the Window you are modifying on top.  That is, you cannot modify a window while another window is in the foreground.

As a corollary to this issue is another:  let's say you have 2 windows, one with input fields, another with buttons.  Let's say the focus is on the window with the input fields.  Then the user decides to click on a button in the inactive window, with the intention of running a script attached to a button there.  What happens in FMP is that when the button in the inactive window is clicked, the focus has now moved to this new window.  A second click must be made to actually run the script attached to the button.  I would like to be able to change the window focus and have the button in that window be active with a single click.  It works this way in Visual Foxpro.  I don't understand why in FMP, it's necessary to change window focus with one click and then require a second click to run the button script.  Is this another issue for the suggestion box or is there a way around this behavior?

Matt Bloomfield