10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 11:42 AM by philmodjunk

Window sizes

BillSloss

Title

Window sizes

I have a business database that has numerous window sizes of different info. In FM 11 I can't seem to set the size of

a window and have that particular window come back at the same size. All other window sizes seem to be the same

size as the one I had set. In earlier FM versions all I had to do was adjust the size and when I recalled that window it kept that size.

Help please!

Bill

• 1. Re: Window sizes
          philmodjunk

In FM 11 I can't seem to set the size of a window and have that particular window come back at the same size.

What do you mean by "come back"? When you close and re-open the file, you expect that window to re-open to the size it had previously?

Is this a single user file or one that is shared over a network?

If all else fails, you can save window location and size info in a user table and use that data to restore windows when the user next opens the file.

• 2. Re: Window sizes
            BillSloss

PhilModjunk answered: What do you mean by "come back"? When you close and re-open the file, you expect that window to re-open to the size it had previously?

By come back I meant when I reopen the same window. In previous versions the window alway opened to the size it was last view in.

Not too familiar with user tables.

Bill

• 3. Re: Window sizes
              philmodjunk

Yes, but re-open the window under what circumstances? When you re-open the file? or ???

And is this a single user database or one hosted over the network?

A user table would be a table you create if you have a multi-user database and you would use such a table to keep track of the window settings for each viewer so that a script would restore windows to that of last session when the file is re-opened.

• 4. Re: Window sizes
                BillSloss

When I reopen the file. This is a single user DB.

Thanks

Bill

• 5. Re: Window sizes
                  philmodjunk

When I reopen the file.

And the window is open when you closed the file and you do not see the window open to the correct location/size when you reopen? Is it open at all?

All other window sizes seem to be the same size as the one I had set.

Is this a case where you have multiple windows open and all but one open as expected?

If so, can you spot anything unusual about that window? Perhaps a layout based script trigger such as OnLayoutEnter or OnRecordLoad that might be a factor?

• 6. Re: Window sizes
                    BillSloss

Window is open when I close it. Then the next time I open it it will be bigger than my layout view. Then, I resize it and close it.

Same thing when I reopen it. No script triggers.

Bill

• 7. Re: Window sizes
                      philmodjunk

Is this on Mac or windows? (one reason I am asking these questions is that I want to try to reproduce the issue. It's possible that we are headed for a bug report in the Report an Issue section of the forum.)

One thing that is not clear to me is if, when you close the window, you are also closing the FILE. A file can have multiple windows open, closing the last window also closes the file. Since we are expecting the window to be open when we re-open the database, I must assume that you are actually closing the FILE here.

Here's a test you can try. Take that open window and navigate to a different layout--even if you have to create a new blank layout just for this purpose. Then close and re-open your file and see if it makes a difference.

Test #2: Try to recreate this issue with another file, if this problem only occurrs with a specific file, then there is some issue with that file we have yet to discover. (From your first post, you may have done this already.)

• 8. Re: Window sizes
                        BillSloss

THIS IS ON A MAC 27".

When closing the window (layout) I do not close the file. Actually it doesn't make any difference whether I close FM or not.

With this file I have 12 different layouts. 

When I open FM I click on a layout and FM launches with the layout open.

Navigating to another layout, the window remains the same.

My problem is with different files and their window sizes, not the layouts withing the same file.

One thing I just tried was to go to Customize Status Toolbar and remove a few icon shortcuts. This seems to help, but not always.

I work with small windows of information, the largest being about 6"x7". All the rest are smaller.

The previous versions of FM did not have this behavior. 

Bill

• 9. Re: Window sizes
                          philmodjunk

And is this a mac with Leopard ( 10.5 ), Snow Leopard ( 10.6 ) or Lion (10.7)?

My problem is with different files and their window sizes, not the layouts withing the same file.

Yes, but issues with the layout (even corruption) might possibly affect the behavior of the window. I suggested a layout change to rule out that possibility.

I work with small windows of information, the largest being about 6"x7". All the rest are smaller.

Is each window for the same file or different files?

Since I use windows and window managemenet is distinctly different on the two systems, I doubt that I will be able to replicate the issue on my end.

One thing I just tried was to go to Customize Status Toolbar and remove a few icon shortcuts. This seems to help, but not always.

I don't follow how that could be a factor. How did this "help"?

Do you keep the status bar hidden or visible?

• 10. Re: Window sizes
                            philmodjunk

I did find a reference to a window size bug for Mac system.

For More Information see:     Closing Status Bar window size bug

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

See if you find any similarities between what is described there and what you are dealing with in your database.