9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 9:29 AM by philmodjunk

windows type csv file export

Title

windows type csv file export

Is there a way to export a report as a windows csv file by default from a mac? My account software requires this format so at the moment I have to open my csv file in excel, then save as windows csv, then import into accounts package..

If i leave it as is, all the records merge into a single line...

• 1. Re: windows type csv file export
          philmodjunk

I don't see why you can't export records to a CSV file directly from FileMaker.

• 2. Re: windows type csv file export

I am exporting directly from filemaker - I have it set to export csv file. However, this export doesnt work in my accounts software unless I save the csv in excel as a windows csv...

• 3. Re: windows type csv file export
              philmodjunk

What do you see that's different between the file produced from Excel and the CSV file exported directly from Mac? They really should be identical unless you need a different delimiting character in place of the standard comma.

This may be something to write up in Report an Issue to see if the TS people identify it as a bug.

• 4. Re: windows type csv file export

If I do not save the file (once I have exported it from FM) as a windows csv in excel, then when I import the file into the accounts software, all the records i have imported are repeated on the first line of the imported file. The instructions on the accounts soft are do point out that mac users should save csv as windows csv... But FM appears to default by the platform it runs on I think...

• 5. Re: windows type csv file export
                  philmodjunk

Yes, but if you open the csv file from FileMaker in  text editor and then use the same text editor to open the csv From excel, what differences do you see?

CSV is a long standing standard file format so I'm quite surprised that it isn't working for you.

As a work around, you might see if a different file format instead of csv might be used. Many accounting packages, for example, support importing from Excel files.

• 6. Re: windows type csv file export

hi

FM export as is looks like this in text edit

"1324","05/02/2014","CHE194","deposit","1","Deposit for Club Fender 11324","166.6666666666666666","20","4001"
                         "1400","06/02/2014","CHE194","","1","Elliptical style club fender with large formed base in brass 90x50mm","1840","20","4001"

When saved as windows csv in excel it looks like this:
                              1324,05/02/2014,CHE194,deposit,1,Deposit for Club Fender 11324,166.6666667,20,4001
                              1400,06/02/2014,CHE194,,1,Elliptical style club fender with large formed base in brass 90x50mm,1840,20,4001

• 7. Re: windows type csv file export
                      philmodjunk

That suggests that your accounting software has an issue with the double quotes--which are a standard part of a typical csv export so that commas contained within a field's text aren't treated as field delimiters.

• 8. Re: windows type csv file export

looks like I shall have to open all exports in excel and save as then! Thank you

• 9. Re: windows type csv file export
                          philmodjunk

Or use a different file format altogether.

Or use a text utility to strip out the double quotes. On a Mac, I believe that you can set up an AppleScript to run the text utility to do this.

But be very careful that there are no commas in the data that you are exporting or your import will not work.