3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 6:30 PM by etripoli

Windows® XP Tablet Edition and Runtime Applications on Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile

dont88_1

Title

Windows® XP Tablet Edition and Runtime Applications on Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile

From what I find here, Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced will run on Windows® XP Tablet Edition.

Are there any known problems using a Filemaker Pro 10 runtime application on the tablet edition?

Anyone have any experience running Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced on a Samsung Q1 Ultra mobile touch screen computer?

• 1. Re: Windows® XP Tablet Edition and Runtime Applications on Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile
          etripoli

I actually have FMP9 running on 2 Samsung Q1s, in the field.  They work great, unless they get dropped!  The built-in handstrap on the back can wear out, so I recommend using a beefier strap.  We actually purchased silicone cases, that could provide some shock absorption if they get dropped again.  I just don't know why you'd run FMP Advanced on one, unless you have it connected to a full-size keyboard and monitor.

I'm not using runtime databases, but I don't see any potential problems, since the Tablet edition functions the same as the regular XP version.

• 2. Re: Windows® XP Tablet Edition and Runtime Applications on Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile
            dont88_1
               You are right about running "Advanced" on the Samsung mobile units. My intention is to use FMP Advanced on my desktop computer to create runtime applications to run on the mobile units. Although this is a Filemaker forum I would like to pick your brain about using the Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile units. Which model are you using? Do you use them outside and if so, how easy or difficult is it to see the screen in bright sunlight? How is the actual battery life? The pairing of this Samsung touch-screen unit and Filemaker seems to be a natural. Did you consider any other tablet computers before settling on the Samsung Q1s?
            • 3. Re: Windows® XP Tablet Edition and Runtime Applications on Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile
              etripoli
                 The choice to use the Samsung's wasn't entirely mine, but it was one of the few XP Tablets available at the time.  We're using the Q1 Ultra, 7" touchscreen, 1GB ram, etc.  They definitely get used outside, and the screens are fairly bright, if the brightness gets turned up.  Battery life is fair, I believe the users can get about a day of use out of the extended batteries.  Of course, the units only get used a few hours during the day, but they are on a standalone DB, so the WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off.  When they units come back to the office, I have some detailed scripts setup to transfer changes and new records.  But it all works well, and has been for a couple of years.