3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 12:17 PM by philmodjunk

Wish list

HansPhilip

Title

Wish list

Hi,

I've been a great fan of FileMaker ever since I left HyperCard. But today, I have some items on my wish list:

• It would be very nice to view the Relations diagram simultaneously while working with scripts. Of course it is possible to print a PDF file, but that is less convenient.
      •      
      • FileMaker Go is a nice app. It would be even nicer if there was a version for PC's and ordinary Mac's. I know about the option to create a Runtime system, but it appears to be troublesome if you need to distribute new versions of the datafiles, and also because of the need for installation. The FileMakerGo approach is much preferable!

When can those improvements be expected to be released?

Regards

Hans Philip

• 1. Re: Wish list
          philmodjunk

If you want people that work for FileMaker Inc to see this, post it here: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

It would be very nice to view the Relations diagram simultaneously while working with scripts. Of course it is possible to print a PDF file, but that is less convenient.

From the script editor, add a script step that can specify a calculation (If, Set variable, set field ....) or use an existing script step to open the specify calculation dialog. Pull down the drop down just above the list of fields and select Manage | Database from the bottom of this list.

FileMaker Go is a nice app. It would be even nicer if there was a version for PC's and ordinary Mac's. I know about the option to create a Runtime system, but it appears to be troublesome if you need to distribute new versions of the datafiles, and also because of the need for installation. The FileMakerGo approach is much preferable!

I don't see how a "FileMaker GO" for windows and Macs would resolve any of those issues. You would still have to distribute new data file versions and you would still have to install the app on each computer.

• 2. Re: Wish list
            HansPhilip

Hi,

Well, I'm new to this forum, but I'm learning. Many thanks for advice on how to approach people at FM. I will try it.

Regaring the Relations diagram, I must admit that through all the years, I hadn't noticed the little shortcut you mentioned. But, still, the relations diagram opens just for one look.

As for the distribution of data files, I see no problem in installing the FileMakerGo app in several devices and later distribute .fmp files to them. The problem with the RT model is that the two files containing data must have unchanged filenames or you have to distribute and reinstall the whole package, as far as I have been able to find out from available documentation.

Hans

• 3. Re: Wish list
              philmodjunk

In both scenarios, the user will need to import their old data into the new. This will create an issue with file names but is one that is fairly easily handled via a number of methods such as: Run a script in the original to save a copy with a new name. Drop the new copy of the file into the solutions folder, open it and run an import script that copies the data into this new copy of the data file.