8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 1:56 PM by jmickey

Won't back up new data

jmickey

Title

Won't back up new data

I have been using FM 9 for several years, backed up and transferred  data by copying 5.5 folder. Recently I installed FM9 on a computer with Windows 7. Now it will not back up any of the new records that I have created. It back ups the data to when I installed FM9 onto Windows 7. When I open FM9 all of the new records are there.

Does Windows 7 save new records at a different location ? Thanks

• 1. Re: Won't back up new data
          philmodjunk

All records are saved to the tables within the file there is no other location to which they would be "saved" unless a script is used to copy the records to a second location.

Exactly what do you mean by "Won't back up data"? Backing up your data usually means that you are saving an additional copy of your original data to a different location and this normally leave the original data unmodified in it's original location. There are quite a few ways you might set up a database file to back up your data, but I'm not sure that's really what you mean when you use the term "back up".

• 2. Re: Won't back up new data
            jmickey

tFM9 saves all my data / records in a file named 5.5 in the FM program, What I do is copy this file.

Since installing FM9 into the new computer it does't copy any new records, just the ones that were there when I installed FM9 in the new computer.

The new records are there, stored in the program, in the folder 5.5

• 3. Re: Won't back up new data
              philmodjunk

And what method did you set up to do this? (there are many different ways you might have used.)

What do you mean by "in the FM program"?

Is this "5.5" an actual FileMaker database file found on your computer? A folder on the computer? Or do you mean that this is a table inside your database file?

FM9 saves all my data / records in a file named 5.5 in the FM program

it doesn't copy any new records, just the ones that were there when I installed FM9 in the new computer.

The new records are there, stored in the program, in the folder 5.5

When I read that, I get a contradiction. You seem to say that it "it doesn't copy any new records" and then you say "The new records are there".

Can you explain what you mean and in much more detail?

• 4. Re: Won't back up new data
                jmickey

I manually copy the file 5.5 out of the FileMaker program.

FM9 saves all my data / records in a file named 5.5 in the FileMaker program

The 5.5 file is in the FileMaker Pro 9 program

If I copy the file "5.5" out of FileMaker Pro 9 in the new computer it does not copy any of the new records that I have developed since installing the FileMaker Pro 9 into the new computer. It copies the records that were there when I installed the program into the new computer. Not any of the new records.

When I open the file "5.5" in FileMaker all of the old and new records are there.

• 5. Re: Won't back up new data
                  philmodjunk

My best guess is that you are looking in the wrong folder and thus not opening the correct file. An older copy of this file might show what you describe as it would not contain the new data.

Some diagnostic questions:

Are you producing a copy of your database file by using "Save A Copy As" to save a copy of your file, named "5.5" to produce a back up copy of your file?

Do you produce this file manually or do you click a button/perform a script to produce this file?

• 6. Re: Won't back up new data
                    jmickey

I open the file in explorer and drag it to my thumb drive.

Is there a better way to copy my files ?

• 7. Re: Won't back up new data
                      philmodjunk

That should work--provided that the database is closed first, but it doesn't sound like you are copying the correct file and thus don't find the correct data.

Try this experiment as a way to be sure that you are getting the correct file onto your thumb drive:

Select Save A Copy As... from the File Menu and save a copy directly to your thumb drive.

• 8. Re: Won't back up new data
                        jmickey

I found my problem, After copying to the thumb drive the first time my thumb drive already had a file named 5.5, When I would copy to my thumb drive after that it would ask me if I wanted to overight the files with the same name. I would say no.

Not realizing that the new files with the same name contained new information. 

Very humbling, I'm not going to tell you how long I have been screwing with this problem.......

Thanks