12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 2:17 PM by philmodjunk

Won't go to related records.

CaitlinMcKelvie

Title

Won't go to related records.

I have a table in my database called evaluators instructors. We have two different types of workshops, and evaluations. I have three different table occurrences of this table. Each table then associates with "Workshop A" "Workshop B" or "Evaluation".

In order to view the evaluators and instructors all together, I have set up three layouts, with each of my table occurrences as the main table. I then have buttons on the layouts that goes to the related records from the other two table occurrences. The layouts all look the same, so the user cannot tell the difference. On the layouts, there is a portal that shows all of the evaluations/ workshops that the person did.

The problem that I am running into is that on the Layout for Workshop A, the button to go to the related record in Workshop B works, but the button to go to the related record in Evaluations doesn't. The same goes for Workshop B, the button to Workshop A works, but the button to Workshop B doesn't. On the Evaluations layout, the buttons to go to Workshop A and B don't work. 

Everything is set up the same on all of the layouts. All of the TO's are from the same table. All of my buttons are set up the same, they go to a related record in _____ layout matching only the current record. All three layouts are literally identical except for where the portal comes from and what TO it is associated with. I cannot seem to figure out why the Evaluations buttons aren't working. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Won't go to related records.
          philmodjunk

When you are asked to select a "table" in the Go to Related Records step, you are really selecting a TO. The relationship between the layout's TO and the TO specified in the GTRR step will control what records can be pulled up on the specified layout by this script step.

Without seeing the actual relationships and the specific options selected in the GTRR step, I can only speculate that you aren't selecting a TO that has a valid relationship with your layout's specified TO. If there are no related records GTRR will do nothing but return an error code and you won't know that an error code was returned unless you use get ( LastError ) to check for it.

• 2. Re: Won't go to related records.
            CaitlinMcKelvie

Shouldn't all of my instructors be a related record between the three TO's? I am trying to see Instructor A on three different layouts using three different TO's. I am not trying to go to any other table, or a table occurrence of any other table.

My database has three table occurrences of the table Evaluate Instruct: Evaluate Instruct ITA Evaluations, Evaluate Instruct R.E.A.D. Workshops, and Evaluate Instruct ITA Workshops. The two screen shots on the right, and the screen shot in the middle top are of my layout information. The screenshot in the bottom middle is of the tables in my database relationship, and the right two screen shots are the go to related record commands to go to R.E.A.D. Workshops and ITA Evaluations from ITA Workshops.

There is also literally nothing different between the relationships between ITA Workshops and R.E.A.D. Workshops and ITA Workshops and ITA Evaluations, yet it lets me go to R.E.A.D. Workshops from ITA Workshops, but not ITA Evaluations.

• 3. Re: Won't go to related records.
              philmodjunk

Shouldn't all of my instructors be a related record between the three TO's? I am trying to see Instructor A on three different layouts using three different TO's. I am not trying to go to any other table, or a table occurrence of any other table

Since I can't see your relationship graph. I can't answer the question. All I can see from that last post is that your layouts specify different TO's and thus a GTRR step will execute from a different "starting point" context in your relationship graph.

• 4. Re: Won't go to related records.
                CaitlinMcKelvie

This is what the relationship looks like minus all other relationships in my database.

• 5. Re: Won't go to related records.
                  philmodjunk

Your layouts appear to all be based on one of the table occurrences in the top row of such boxes in your relationship graph.

The two GTRR examples then specify two of the same table occurrences.

From what layout do you execute the GTRR where "Evaluate Instruct R.E.A.D workshops" is specified as the related table? (bottom left)

From what layout do you execute the GTRR where "Evalaute Instruct ITA Workshops" is specified as the related table? (bottom right)

It's the chain of relationships from the layout's TO to the GTRR specified TO that determines what related records, if any, there are to "go to".

• 6. Re: Won't go to related records.
                    CaitlinMcKelvie

The bottom right is actually the layout information for "Evaluate Instruct ITA Workshops".

Both executions that you see are executing from that Layout. The top left is an attempt to go to Evaluate Instruct ITA Evaluations from Evaluate Instruct ITA Workshops (which doesn't work) and the bottom left is an attempt to go to Evaluate Instruct R.E.A.D. Workshops (which does work). The top middle shows the layout information for Evaluate Instruct R.E.A.D. Workshops (which I can go to) and the top right shows the layout information for Evaluate Instruct ITA Evaluations (which I can't go to).

I also have the exact same problem if I start on the R.E.A.D. layout and then try and go to ITA Evaluations, but it lets me go to ITA Workshops. If I start on ITA Evaluations, it won't let me go to either of them. So there is something about the relationship between evaluations and the two workshops that isn't working, I just don't see anything different in any of the relationships or what I am doing wrong.

• 7. Re: Won't go to related records.
                      CaitlinMcKelvie

Here is a screen shot of my ITA Workshops Layout

• 8. Re: Won't go to related records.
                        CaitlinMcKelvie

Here is a picture of my ITA Evaluations Layout

• 9. Re: Won't go to related records.
                          CaitlinMcKelvie

Here is a picture of my R.E.A.D. Workshops Layout.

I'm not sure if these are helpful at all.

• 10. Re: Won't go to related records.
                            philmodjunk

Apologies for not reading that screen shot more carefully.

Let's stick with your first new screen shot of a layout, the one for ITA Workshops.

If I understand you correctly, the button to pull up records from ITA Instructors probably works. You have a portal listing those very records and the GTRR step would look like this:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: ITA Instructors; Using layout: "ITA Instructors" (ITA Instructors) ]

but buttons to see the related records for the other two groups: ITA Evaluator and R.E.A.D Instructor probably do not work as it seems unlikely that the complex chain of relationships in place between "ITA Workshops" and "Evaluate Instruct R.E.A.D workshops" or "Evaluate Instruct ITA Evaluations" will successfully link to those groups of records.

If, as a test, you place portals to those TO's, do you see any records?

And this is the best hint that I can give you at this point, If you can set up a new TO with the right match fields so that it links directly to ITA Workshops such that a portal on the ITA Workshops layout shows the correct records, then you have a relationship in place that you can use with GTRR to pull up that group of records on another layout.

• 11. Re: Won't go to related records.
                              CaitlinMcKelvie

The button to pull up "ITA Workshops" actually pulls up the layout itself. Due to the complicated nature of the relationships, I had to create 3 different TO's and then a layout of each TO to show when an instructor taught an ITA Workshop, a R.E.A.D. Workshop, or did an evaluation. Each of the layouts has a portal of the classes they taught. So the go to related records button isn't just pulling up a portal, it is actually taking you to an entirely different layout with a different TO of Evaluate Instruct. I realize that my naming of the button "ITA Instructor" might be a little bit confusing for these purposes, but it works well for the purpose of the database. The button would be better name "see ITA workshops taught by this instructor", and these are shown in the portal. Similarly, the other workshops/ evaluations are layouts that have portals to their TO.

Is there really no way to switch to different TO's of the same person, because that is all I am trying to do? I want to pull up Instructor A and be able to go from ITA Workshops (which is the default) to R.E.A.D. Workshops (for the same person) to Evaluations (for the same person). What I really need to do is switch between this persons layouts/ TOs. When I tried having it just go to the layout instead of a related record, it wouldn't go to the same person, so I assumed I had to do related record, although I am not really looking for a related record, but the same record in a different TO.

• 12. Re: Won't go to related records.
                                philmodjunk

So the go to related records button isn't just pulling up a portal,

No it is not, but if you can't get a portal to show the records you want GTRR to pull up in a found set on the specified layout, GTRR cannot work the way you want it to.

Is there really no way to switch to different TO's of the same person,

Of course it is and there are many ways that you can do that. What I've said is that your current relationships do not look like they will work for the way that you are using GTRR.

GTRR might work if you tried it this way:

From the Evaluat Instruct ITA Workshops layout, set up GTRR like this:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table:Evaluat Instruct ITA Workshops; Using layout: "ITA Instructors" (ITA Instructors) ]

What I did, was specify the TO of the current Layout, but then selected the Layout where you want to see these records. That works as long as the current layout and the target layout refer to TO's with the same data source table. (but it replicates your current found set, not just the current record...)

You also may find it less confusing to set up a scripted find to find the same instructor record on the other layouts.

Set Variable [$ID ; value: Evaluat Instruct ITA Workshops::Unique.ID ]
                                     Go to Layout [ "ITA Instructors" (ITA Instructors) ]
                                     Enter Find Mode [] --> clear the pause check box
                                     Set FIeld [ITA Instructors::Unique.ID ; $ID ]
                                     Perform Find []