6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 8:48 AM by philmodjunk

Word document problem formatting

easyway

Title

Word document problem formatting

I have converted a Filemaker table to Excel to merge into a Word document (a 16 page contract with many merge fields). It all works well except that numbers are showing with umpteen decimal places despite the fact that the fields are formatted to 2 decimal places in the original Filemaker table. When converting to Excel I am ticking the box saying "apply current layout's formatting to exported data". In the newly created Excel document the number cells show as only 2 decimal places, but in the data entry panel sho with many decimal places. The Word document on merging shows all the decimal places.

Any ideas on how to solve this without manually going through every number cell and re-entering it to 2 places?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Word document problem formatting
          philmodjunk

You can create as many layouts as you need in FileMaker so this is an option, Another option would be to enter the data that "fills in the blanks" in FileMaker, export the data as a merge file and then import the data into word to merge it with your document for printing from Word. This is a much more complext process but it can preserve the complex formatting and better page break management possible in Word.

• 2. Re: Word document problem formatting
            easyway

Thanks again PhilModJunk. I was coming to this conclusion myself but was trying to avoid it because the database contains several related tables and with many fields from related tables in various layouts. I think the problems with page breaks, formatting, paragraph numbering etc are so great that I will need to create a merge file using lookups (rather than leaving related fields) and then merge them into the Word doc and print from there. As you say it's more complex but will at least preserve all the formatting, breaks etc.

Thanks again for your help.

• 3. Re: Word document problem formatting
              philmodjunk

I would think you can do a merge file export and have the export records step "merge" or "flatten" your data into the format needed for use with MS Word.

• 4. Re: Word document problem formatting
                easyway

Thanks again. I'm going down the route of creating a merge file to fill in all the "blanks" in the Word doc which I think is easier than trying tom overcome formatting and page break issues with the other way. Help much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Word document problem formatting
                  easyway

I have solved this problem only by manually copying data at 2 decimal places from one column in the original Excel file into another column which has no formatting (hidden or otherwise) and then converting to Filemaker. When drawing on data from this converted file, converting back to Excel to merge into the Word document the correct number of decimal places is now showing. I can only assume that the Excel file which was given to me contained some prior formulae or formatting that I was unable to eradicte.

• 6. Re: Word document problem formatting
                    philmodjunk

I think you can come up with an option that avoids these manual steps, but you'd have to describe what you are doing in much more detail before I can suggest methods that would avoid the needed "hands on" manipulation of the data.