5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 5:44 AM by ninja

Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators

RWWest

Title

Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators

I've read through many posts trying to find an answer or work around.  I'm trying to extract the middle word(s) out of a field and hyphens and/or word count is messing my calculation.  Below are example (FNAME - PO_FILE) of what I'm working with, the underlined portion is what I am trying to retrieve and place into another field (FNAME - PO_NO)

ABC DEF-HIJ PO 123456-00.PDF

ABC DEF-HIJ PO 123456.PDF

ABCDEF GHI-JKL PO 123456.PDF       

ABCDEF GHI-JKL PO 123456-00.PDF

ABCDEF GHI-JKL PO 123456-00 ABCD.PDF

Any help will be appreciated.  This maybe impossible, but I figured one of the kind people here may know of a solution. 

Using Filemaker Pro 5, don't laugh it still works great.

• 1. Re: Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators
          ninja

It's possible, but maybe not in FMP5...

The filtervalues function would come in quite handy, followed by a cutoff of the resultant leading hyphen.

Don't quite know how I would do it in FMP5 though...never used it.  FilterValues came into play in FMP7.

Anyone else's thoughts?

• 2. Re: Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators
            philmodjunk

FilterValues? Perhaps just Filter.... works in newer FileMaker versions, but isn't an option in Filemaker 5.

Filter ( text field ; -1234567890 ) would filter the contents of your original text down to just the hyphen and numeric digits. Which would just leave checking for and removing a leading hyphen to produce the results you've specified. Simple enough to set up as a calculation field and no script required.

In FileMaker 5, it can be done, but I'd use a script that looped through the text one character at a time. you can use pattern count to identify the occurrence of the first numeric digit to find the begginning of the text you want to extract: Patterncount ( "1234567890" , Middle ( TextField , gCharPos , 1 ) ) > 0 would detect the first numeric digit. A similar expression with the hyphen included could then allow a second loop to find theend of this text and then Middle could extract the actual text.

Put all of that inside a third loop that moves from record to record and you have something that should extract the desired hyphenated numeric text.

• 3. Re: Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators
              ninja

Good call on filter vs filtervalues...but why use a simple function when you can make it more complex! :)

Either way, it looks like it's time to upgrade to FMP7+ or begin the long manual data entry process.

• 4. Re: Word functions - Hyphens and other word seperators
                RWWest

No need to upgrade to a fancy-smancy version of FM….one line of code and 10 minutes testing.

If( WordCount(PO_FILE) = 6, MiddleWords( PO_FILE, 4 , 2 ) ,If( WordCount(PO_FILE) = 5, MiddleWords( PO_FILE, 4 , 1 ) , " " ) )

I can’t find the help file, but both the “-” and “.” act as separators within numerical values (example 123-456 or AB1.PDF) within a text field, making them 2 words.  However when used with text (abc-def or abc.pdf) it is defined as 1 word.  Once this was know the problem was easy to resolve using WordCount.

IF statements are great and have resolved a lot of short comings within FM.  Nested IF statements are even better.

I choose not to upgrade some 15+ years ago because of a rebuild requirement to upgrade.  Old school wins…from a “user” that has the ability to program…