7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 10:38 AM by philmodjunk

Working around Filemaker native dialogs

Frinholp

Title

Working around Filemaker native dialogs

I have tried my best to code around Filemaker native dialogs. In some cases quite easily, others eventually successful, a few I quit fighting.

One of the instances where I'm losing my fight is in find mode where Filemaker insists on throwing its dialog when a field is exited (tabbed etc) and there is invalid search criteria entered in the search field. 

I have managed to prevent Filemaker from displaying its own dialog by capturing the error by using the OnObjectValidate script trigger to rectify the data before Filemaker complains. This prevents the native dialog to be displayed but Filemaker still stores the the keypress (tab, return etc) in cache and moves to next field. Is there anyway of emptying the cache or halting its native function to prevent moving to the next field once the OnObjectValidate trigger has been fired?

Another instance where this is causing trouble, but probably easier to solve, is where a constrained set or found set contains no results. Filemaker likes to inform me that no records meet the criteria set in the find. I'm asking this as I have allowed the function of archiving records which means I need to find only records where an archived field is set to null or left blank. If all records have been archived, when refreshing the found set there are no records to be found (as all are archived) and Filemaker dispalys its native message about no records to be found. How can I prevent this?

Thanks in advance

Lee

• 1. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
          philmodjunk

WIth OnObjectValidate, if you end your script with Exit Script [False] the cursor will stay in the field and Filemaker's validation dialog will not pop-up. This would enable you to pop up your own dialog and then return the user to the field to make any needed corrections before tripping the script trigger again.

• 2. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
            Frinholp

You're a star. The amount of hours I've spent.......

From http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7594/~/new-script-triggers-in-filemaker-pro-11-and-other-behavioral-changes :

Result
            You can use the Exit Script script step within the triggered script to return True or False.

• True: The event that triggered the script proceeds.
            • False: The event that triggered the script is canceled.

........I wouldn't mind but I remember looking over that that page to investigate the new triggers in FM11. That's what you get for skimming!

Thinking about the other issue. Maybe a count of records that are archived and a check to see if this is equal to total records. If so, don't perform find, if not equal then perform the find.

Cheers again Phil

• 3. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
              philmodjunk

Exit Script [False] only terminates some triggering events. You can look this up in FileMaker help.

Some events are executed before the trigger "fires" others after. Only those triggers where it "fires" before the triggering event executes can be canceled in this way as the other events have already executed before your trigger's script is performed.

• 4. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
                Frinholp

It's been a very long day. What a schoolboy error:

Another instance where this is causing trouble, but probably easier to solve, is where a constrained set or found set contains no results. Filemaker likes to inform me that no records meet the criteria set in the find. I'm asking this as I have allowed the function of archiving records which means I need to find only records where an archived field is set to null or left blank. If all records have been archived, when refreshing the found set there are no records to be found (as all are archived) and Filemaker dispalys its native message about no records to be found. How can I prevent this?

How about set error capture on ........ and for good practice set user abort off Embarassed

• 5. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
                  philmodjunk

Set error capture [on] will suppress the "not found" dialog.

I try not to use User Abort [off]--especially in looping scripts--unless it is truly necessary. If I create such a looping script and make a mistake that produces an infinite loop, that strip will keep me from using the escape key (command period on Mac) to halt the run away script. My only option, usually, is to force quit FileMaker which could damage any open FileMaker files. (If a looping script pauses, I've found I can use Filemaker Advanced to open the script debugger and use it to halt the script.)

• 6. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
                    Frinholp

Phil

I can see that when developing, allowing user abort would be benificial under circumstances highlighted above. However, is it wise to allow the end user to abort a scripts that are not based on a search query and one that is crucial to data integrity? Or maybe a script that would normally terminate by changing layout, thus leaving the user in 'limbo?' 

Cheers

Lee

• 7. Re: Working around Filemaker native dialogs
                      philmodjunk

Most of the time, it's a non-issue as most scripts execute too quickly to be aborted unless they get trapped in an infinite loop. And we are all too human to be able to only release systems where we can guarantee such situtations will never occur after we've delivered our project to the client. Wink