1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 8:07 AM by philmodjunk

Working on the same file separately-will input data be saved over?

LeslieBehum

Title

Working on the same file separately-will input data be saved over?

Greetings!

I'm brand new to FilemakerPro.  I'm currently using it to inventory artwork for a foundation, it's me and one other person using the same inventory file.  When we are both in the office I host the file and she access as a client and everything works together.  My concern was if we decide to input data separately when not on the same server, such as from each of our respective homes, how can we do that?  I don't want any other person's work saved over, in other words.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  We are using FilemakerPro 12 on a Mac OSX 10.9 system.

Best,

Leslie

• 1. Re: Working on the same file separately-will input data be saved over?
          philmodjunk

Best bet would be to host the file such that you can connect to it as a client from home. A hosting service can do this or you can set up a computer (perhaps yours?) at your work place to host the data database with "port forwarding" set up to permit you and your coworker to access the hosted database from home.

If you choose to open and modify separate copies of your database, life gets much more complicated. It's possible, but potentially complex to "synch" the data from your separate files producing a copy of the DB with merged data. You might be able to design such a system yourself or there are 3rd parties such as 360Works and SeedCode that offer a tool that can do this.