6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 1:24 AM by andthenitryagain

Working Separately With Date and Time Information in Timestamp fields.

andthenitryagain

Title

Working Separately With Date and Time Information in Timestamp fields.

I'm returning back to FileMaker development after a break of several years and I'm trying to get up to speed with the great new features. However there is one aspect that has stumped me and so far I haven't found any solutions, so I'm hoping someone could help...

I'm using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced with an ODBC connection to a SQL database. This is working very well, apart from TimeStamp fields.

We're hoping to replace a 4D front-end with FileMaker, unfortunately the 4D system has a way of allowing just the date or just the time of a TimeStamp field to be visible and editable. So to the user they appear as if they are just Date or Time fields.

I haven't found any similiar functionality in FileMaker, or any plug-ins that help with it. I've sketched out a solution using related tables with date and time fields, and scripttriggered scripts to move the information back and forwards to the SQL table. But the more I look at it the more horrible it gets as a solution and given the number of DateStamp fields in the SQL table it would be a nightmare to keep straight.

So I'm hoping someone can point out that I've missed something glaringly obvious and there is a better/easier/quicker way?

Thanks in advance!

Peter