1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 10:12 AM by philmodjunk

Working with inserting images in a container field

DorskyGallery

Title

Working with inserting images in a container field

Hello,

I am inserting a photo (jpeg) into a container field, but I would like it to show up or maximize in its own window when I click on it.  How do I go about doing this?  Also, if I have multiple photos that I would like to insert in a record, how do I make one main image, but also have a series of secondary images in the same container field?

Thank you,

Anna

• 1. Re: Working with inserting images in a container field
          philmodjunk

You have options here depending on what you want and how you set up your database...

"I would like it to show up or maximize in its own window when I click on it."

If you store the picture as a reference (The path to the picture's physical location is stored.) You can open the picture with your computer's preferred application for that file type simply by double-clicking the field.

You can also create a second layout with the container field sized to be the larger format you want and you can script a button that uses the New Window command to open a new window and switch to this layout. You can learn more about "New Window" by looking it up in filemaker's help system.

"how do I make one main image, but also have a series of secondary images in the same container field?"

Well you can't, unless you use an image editing program to create a new picture that merges them all into a single picture. You can, however, create a related table of images and display them in a portal. You can add/remove images for a given parent record by adding/deleting the portal records. If you look up "Portal" in filemaker's help system, you'll find some fairly decent explanations on how to create and use portals.