4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 11:11 AM by philmodjunk

Working with portals to show data

algae592002

Title

Working with portals to show data

I created a layout to use in form view, that shows how many words a student has read correctly. I want the layout to show a box per word per trimester next to each word. (e.g.: T1 box= blank, T2 box= "X", T3 box = "X").

I've created a table with alll the fields I need to input data. I also created 3 duplicate tables of the same table, each representing one trimester. The relationship is:

Table HFW record ID = Table HFW T1 record ID

and

Table HFW trimester = Table HFW T1 trimester if = to 1

On the layout I put a portal that gets data from table HFW T1. The filter states: Table HFW record ID = Table HFW T1 record ID

I then duplicated the portal to do similar for T2 & T3 data.

It doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to make this layout work?

Preview_of_%E2%80%9CMicrosoft_Word_-_HFW_Student_Form_-_1st_Grade_%28English%29.docx%E2%80%9D_copy.png

• 1. Re: Working with portals to show data
          philmodjunk

You need to start with a table of Students, a table of vocabulary words and then a "join" table that records whether a) the word was read correctly and b) in which trimester the result was recorded.

Students-----<Student_Vocabulary>-----Vocabulary

Students::__pkStudentID = Student_Vocabulary|FirstTrim::_fkStudentID AND
               Students::constFirstTrim = Student_Vocabulary|FirstTrim::Trimester

Vocabulary::__pkVocabID = Student_Vocabulary::_fkVocabID

A script can generate one record in Student_Vocabulary for each record in Vocabulary . The above example works for the first trimester. You'd add two more const calculation fields and two more occurrences of Student_Vocabulary for the other two trimesters. (The Const calculation fields return a value for the first, second and third trimesters.) Note that there are no portal filter expressions needed for this approach.

• 2. Re: Working with portals to show data
            algae592002

So I understand the basic structure you layout in your reply. What I'm confused about is what I'm understanding to be a calc field content to generate a result:

Students::__pkStudentID = Student_Vocabulary|FirstTrim::_fkStudentID AND
            Students::constFirstTrim = Student_Vocabulary|FirstTrim::Trimester

The value this generates is either a 1 or a 0.

Having done this I don't seem to get the data to show on the layout as I'd like it to show.

And forgive my ignorance; I also understand that by creating 2 occurrences , you mean duplicating the table "Student_Vocabulary" so each trimester is represented.

In any case, if and when you get a chance, would you mind clarifying a bit more?

Thank you very much for any guidance you can provide me.

• 3. Re: Working with portals to show data
              philmodjunk

That is not a calculation field. It is not a field at all.

It describes the match fields to specify in the relationship linking Students to Student_Vocabulary.

I should have included this:  For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 4. Re: Working with portals to show data
                philmodjunk

I also understand that by creating 2 occurrences , you mean duplicating the table "Student_Vocabulary" so each trimester is represented.

If, by that, you mean using the duplicate button (two green plus signs) in Manage | Database | Relationships to duplicate a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? box in the relationships graph, then yes, that is what I meant.