1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 9:40 PM by comment_1

Working with Serial Numbers....

SNaranjo

Title

Working with Serial Numbers....

Hello, 

My first time posting here. Name is Santiago and I am currently working on transferring my client roster from spreadsheet format to database. Have very little experience working with databases and am kinda starting from scratch here. I have imported a spreadsheet with nearly 1000 names into a database. I have heard that it is a smart thing to attach serial numbers to each of my names within the database. A couple of questions for someone who can shed some light on this for me:

What is the benefit of utilizing a serial number?

What is the primary function of a serial number vis-a-vis a database?

How do I assign a serial number?

This would be a great start if someone could help me wrap my head around these questions. Thank you.

Santiago 

• 1. Re: Working with Serial Numbers....
          comment_1

SNaranjo wrote:

What is the benefit of utilizing a serial number?

A serial number provides a unique and permanent identification of a record. Two people can have the same name - but their records have different serial numbers. A person can change their name - but a serial number is forever.

SNaranjo wrote:

What is the primary function of a serial number vis-a-vis a database?

To link between records in different tables. For example, People can have Things assigned to them. In the Things table, the assignment is done by entering the person's serial number into a field. This way, the thing will still be assigned to the same person even if they do change their name (or any other attribute).

SNaranjo wrote:
          How do I assign a serial number?

By defining a field (usually of type Number) with auto-entered serial number. Since you have already imported some records, you can place the field on the table's layout, click in it and select Replace Field Contents… from the Records menu. Then choose to replace with serial numbers + 'Update serial number in Entry Options' (so that new records pick up from where the replace left off).