1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 12:28 PM by philmodjunk

Would this be a value list or repeating field?

wngiii

Title

Would this be a value list or repeating field?

Greetings,

I've got a problem with figuring out what to call something.  I've got a table of Contracts all with expiration dates.  each contract is related to an artist who has put out multiple albums. I have no problem getting the expiration date to show on all the albums attached to the artist. 9 times out of 10 this if fine, my problem comes when language in the contract isn't specific about the expiration date.  For example one contract says the lease on the album expires 10 years from release of the album and there are 5 albums under that contract.  So in essence there are 5 expiration dates for this contract.

If I put the expiration dates in with a carraige return could that be considered a value list and used the same way? or would this be a repeating field?

I would ideally like to have a field to default to the first date but have the ability to set a pull down menu for contracts with multiple dates in that field.

for example. 

Contract 1 has a fixed expiration date of 1/1/2010 and attached to album 1 and 2

Contract 2 has multiple dates because 3/2/2010, 4/1/2011, 5/1/2013 and is attached to album 3,4,& 5

the each album would show the below expiration date attached to the contract

Album 1  1/1/2010 Contract 1

Album 2  1/1/2010 Contract 1

Album 3  3/2/2010 Contract 2

Album 4  4/1/2011 Contract 2

Album 5  5/1/2013 Contract 2

any help or thoughts would be great. 

Thanks in advance!
      Bill

• 1. Re: Would this be a value list or repeating field?
          philmodjunk

You could store your dates in a text field with returns separating each entry, but chances are that you'll be much happier with your data base if you store this data in a related table where each entry makes up one record. You can then display this data in a portal to show all the entries for a given contract.

Given your example:

Album 1  1/1/2010 Contract 1

Album 2  1/1/2010 Contract 1

Album 3  3/2/2010 Contract 2

Album 4  4/1/2011 Contract 2

Album 5  5/1/2013 Contract 2

I'd put at least three fields in this table: Album ID, ExpDate and Contract ID

You'll even be able to link your album records to this new table by AlbumID and your contract records to this table by ContractID.