2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 9:29 AM by philmodjunk

Would This Be Possible With FMP?

dionysius

Title

Would This Be Possible With FMP?

I've got a report manager in Access that collects data (lots) and provides a daily report and a month-to-date report everyday of our performance (we're an independent power producer IPP).  The data is retrieved from an ancient unix box (Interactive Unix) at a rate of once per second for approximately 50 tags of information.  There's a lot of Visual Basics with the queries and such.  There's only three (3) of us that have any experience with it and I'm one of the less experienced.  I'd like to try something better, if that's possible.  

I'm sure this is still pretty vague but I've got to start somewhere.  Thanks for any input

Denis 

• 1. Re: Would This Be Possible With FMP?
          kapitaen_1

hi dionysius,

if your unix box can write the collected data to a database like mysql, sqlserver, oracle, then you can define a odbc connection that filemaker can use as external data source. And then filemaker can do anything with it.

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 2. Re: Would This Be Possible With FMP?
            philmodjunk
               If you don't want to keep the "ancient unix box" and would like to do everything in Filemaker, see if you can get the data exported from its current tables as tab or csv files. Then you can import the data into tables in filemaker and can manage the entire system that way. (This approach can be a lot simpler for many situations.)