Text in a text field always wraps and has since at least FileMaker Pro 2.5--the 1st version I worked with.
I think you are referring to making fields change height to adjust for the amount of text in the field. That hasn't changed since 2.5 either and could use an upgrade.
Currently, you have to specify over sized fields and then set them to slide up. It's really the only option we currently have. There is a place (besides the feedback section here in the forum), where you can suggest new features if you care to: http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html
My impression is that this is the number one place FileMaker Inc. people use when evaluating suggestions from their user base.
Key facts about sliding:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Only objects in the body will slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
"Only objects in the body will slide"
Better: Headers, footers, title headers, and title footers never shrink or slide up.
Nor do they in sub summary parts--just the body.
IMHO they slide even in sub summary and in grand summary parts.
Hmmm, tried that last year with sub summary parts and they didn't slide for me... At least the part didn't resize...
I stand corrected. I'll have to go back and examine the report layout where I couldn't get this to work inside a sub summary part. It definitely slides in a simple demo file where I used a sub summary part.
Ok, cool thanks - I guess that will have to do