AnsweredAssumed Answered

Writing Record Data

Question asked by DrDave on Nov 10, 2008
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2008 by DrDave

Title

Writing Record Data

I'm new to FM (Pro) and someone sent me a database that I'm working with. Here is the situation.

I havew a customer database and a purchase database.

When I add data, I use a layout that contains information from the customer database and (I think it's called a portal) information from the purchase database. In fact, I can add up to four purchases in this layout.

One more piece of info. When a purchase is added, there is a purchase number that is the customer number plus some text (like 1234INT).

Instead of entering this purchase number for every purchase, I specified a validation function that simply says, add the text to the customer number and store it in the purchase number field. It works great...under some conditions.

Here is my problem.

When I add a record, I enter the customer number, but the validation on the purchase number does not work on the purchase database unless I "go to the next customer record, and then return to the current customer."

I think this forward-back action writes the data to the record and then the validation function can see it.

Is there something that I can do to write the customer record data as soon as I enter the customer number.

Thanks for the help...and if you actually read this WHOLE message, you are my hero! :-) Sorry for the long message. 

Outcomes