11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 8:29 AM by GavSharpe

X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04

GavSharpe

Title

X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04

Creating a simple line graph using the wizard.

There is no selection for the 'tick interval' settings. i.e. cant set the tick interval frequency.

The help file suggest this is located under the x axis tab.

Screen shot shows chart wizard and help file.

If I have lots of data points the x axis label is a blur.

Screen_Shot_2013-09-12_at_18.29.48.png

• 1. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
          philmodjunk

Clearly a case where the help is not as clear as it should be. These options only apply to the Y -axis. You do not have the ability to specify these options for the X-Axis.

• 2. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
            GavSharpe

Thanks for your reply Phil.

Is there any way to set the label interval on the x axis?

I have seen a chart creating 'plug in' for FM Pro called 'xmChart'.  Any experience with this type of plug in?

• 3. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
              philmodjunk

Haven't used that plug in.

The labels on the xAxis come from data in your table. Sometimes it's possible to create a calculation field that is empty except for every nth record though this will not work for every type of chart.

• 4. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                GavSharpe

Thanks for the advice Phil, I'll have a look at that. (I am new to FileMaker).

Just for your info-i downloaded xmChart-very good, allows you basically to configure every part of a chart and reasonably simple to do-HOWEVER, it looks like it wont when displaying on FileMaker GO i.e. on iPad/iPhone

When I first emailed there tech. i was under the impression you could set the graph in pdf format and it would work-after trying and still not working there support said it will not work with FM GO.  I will be clarifying this point later today.  I will still probably use the product however-available as demo.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                  philmodjunk

Plug Ins are not supported by FM GO.

• 6. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                    GavSharpe

Creating a simple line graph using the wizard.

There is no selection for the 'tick interval' settings. i.e. cant set the tick interval frequency.

The help file suggest this is located under the x axis tab.

Screen shot shows chart wizard and help file.

If I have lots of data points the x axis label is a blur.

I have reposted this in the hope that there may now be a solution-I have tried lots of alternatives.

• 7. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                      philmodjunk

Sorry, but there is no solution that I know of at this time.

• 8. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                        philmodjunk

Hmmm but you can use a web viewer in FM GO. I have seen cases where a chart was produced using Java in a Web Viewer. It's a pretty far out there way to get a chart, but may be your only option at this time.

• 9. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                          GavSharpe

I had a look at xmChart which was very good, but again does not work in GO.

The solution really needs to be simple to be practical.  

The actual application is:

Customer as process data in MSSQL-basically temperatures and process values on a plant.

I have created a link to the MSSQL and have created a layout allowing the customer to freely select a 'time' and 'date'

he wishes to see graphed.  This works fine until the time span is so large that the x-axis info is blurred.  

In practice the customer maybe 'looking' for a plant disturbance over a 2 day period-when this graph is opened and the  disturbance is visible on the graph the customer would then refine is time span to show it in more detail-however he cannot read the x-axis information of the time and date.

Struggling to believe that FM Pro does not have an 'auto' spacing in the graph wizard, as Excel.

I can honestly say that this problem is stopping me implementing FileMaker Pro at many of my customers.

I suppose my post is really aimed at the FileMaker creators-you never know, it might be in the next revision.

Thanks for reply Phil.

• 10. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                            philmodjunk

My last post did not suggest a plug in but that you set up a web viewer to do the charting....

If you want to ask for a new feature, your best place to post that is here: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

• 11. Re: X axis tick interval on FM Pro V12.04
                              GavSharpe

x axis is blurred because of too much data.  Excel would automatically adjust intervals so that the x axis is readable.  Is there anyway to do this in FM13.  I know there are chart plugins and they work but FM GO does not support the plugins.