3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 10:42 AM by raybaudi

X IN A BOX

carlz_1

Title

X IN A BOX

SORRY, THIS SOUNDS LIKE  A VERY DUMB QUESTION BUT I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR HOURS AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG.

I HAVE A FORM THAT HAS A SIMPLE BOX THAT READS NONE (with a square next to it to check).  IT WANTS TO KNOW IF A PERSON HAS CERTAIN ASSETS SUCH AS LIFE INSURANCE. 

I WANT TO HAVE A SIMPLY CALCULATION THAT WILL PUT AN X IN THAT BOX IF A PARTICULAR FIELD IS NULL (THEY OWN NO LIFE INSURANCE) AND REMOVE THE X IF THERE IS ANY DATA INPUT REGARING A POLICY.

MY CALCULATION IS: 

Case ( RESIDENT::total_lifeins_count = ""; "X";"")                  

TOTAL_LIFE_INS_COUNT IS A CALCULATION FIELD THAT SIMPLY COUNTS THE NUMBER OF POLICIES SOMEONE HAS BY THE NUMBER OF ENTRIES IN THE LIFE INSURANCE TABLE.

ANYWAY, IT DOESN'T WORK.  THE X GOES IN THERE AND STAYS THERE I EVEN PUT THE TOTAL_LIFE_INS FIELD NEARBY SO THAT I COULD SEE WHAT IT POPULATED WITH.  IT POPULATED JUST FINE BUT THE X WOULD NOT LEAVE.  I TRIED NUMEROUS ITERATIONS USING ISEMPTY() ETC ETC ETC. 

I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG BUT I SUSPECT IT IS A SIMPLE ISSUE.

THANKS AGAIN.

• 1. Re: X IN A BOX
          Orlando

Hi carlz

Not sure from you post why the calc you have setup would not work, could you post into on the  'total_lifeins_count' calc and how the relationships are setup between RESIDENTS and the LIFE INSURANCE TABLE?

One thing tro try though is to set your X field to look directly at the same source your 'total_lifeins_count' instead of the count, so try:

If ( not IsEmpty ( Residence_LIFE INSURANCE TABLE::UniqueID ) ; "X" ; "" ) 

Resedence_LIFE INSURANCE TABLE is the name of whatever table you have set to link RESIDENCE to the LIFE INSURANCE TABLE

Hope this helps in some way. 

• 2. Re: X IN A BOX
            carlz_1

As always, thank you for the assistance. 

It stil does not work.  Very odd.  I placed a copy of the total_lifeins_count field onto the layout and when I entered a new policy, it came up with a 1.  I tried change from ISEMPTY to a numbe calculation of > 0.  Still, the X persists.  This is one of those situations where I think I may be changing so many things to debug it that I have created a royal mess.

I tried your answer as well. ... Still, the X will not go away.  If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: X IN A BOX
              raybaudi

Hi carlz

> I HAVE A FORM THAT HAS A SIMPLE BOX THAT READS NONE (with a square next to it to check)

So you have a value list of only a value, "none", attached to a calculated field formatted as a checkbox.

> MY CALCULATION IS: Case ( RESIDENT::total_lifeins_count = "" ; "X" ; "" )

Try: Case( IsEmpty ( RESIDENT::total_lifeins_count ) ; "none" )