13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 4:42 AM by comment_1

XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert

goodhope

Title

XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert

Hello,

Still on the XML mission - thanks to those that given me assistance.

I now have another issue - I have a tag in my XML file called <Title>. This can appear as a true title near the top of a particular advert (if you remember the XML file is a collection of separate adverts for a newspaper), or further down between textual paragraphs. What I need to do is differentiate between the two - I think somehow with an 'if' statement. Please see example XML advert below.

I'd like when imported into Filemaker to put the Title at the head of the notice (<Title>NOTICE OF RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER</Title>) into one field, then treat the other titles (<Title>RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER</Title> and <Title>LOGIC CORPORATION</Title>) as normal Text, and run these plus the <text> paragraphs into another field (I guess what I'm saying is somehow convert those 'titles' within the textual area of the advert to 'text' paragraphs using my XSLT). To me the keying does not look correct, but this is legacy data that I have to try to work with.

XML SAMPLE NOTICE:

<Notice Type="2301" Reference="654421">

<Metadata>

<PublishDate>2008-08-20</PublishDate>

<SupplierNoticeID>33496</SupplierNoticeID>

</Metadata>

<Title>NOTICE OF RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER</Title>

<P>

<Text>Publication Date: 24 August 2009</Text>

</P>

<P>

<Text>Notice Code: [432>]</Text>

</P>

<Title>RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER</Title>

<P>

<Text>by</Text>

</P>

<Title>LOGIC CORPORATION</Title>

<P>

<Text>The terms defined in the Offer Document have the same meaning in this notice.</Text>

</P>

<P>

<Text>This notice does not constitute, and must not be construed as an offer. ARC Shareholders who accept the Offer may rely only on the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form, the Form of Acceptance for all the terms and conditions of the Offer.</Text>

</P>

<Administration>

<Administrator>Logic</Administrator>

<DateSigned Date="2009-08-24">21 August 2008</DateSigned>

</Administration>

</Notice>

XSLT EXAMPLE (showing how I currently have the 'Title' and 'Text' being handled):

<ROW MODID="" RECORDID="">

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Title">

<xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text>

</xsl:for-each></DATA></COL> 

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="P/Text">

</ROW> 

• 1. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
          comment_1
             Try:

<COL><DATA> <xsl:for-each select="Title|P"> <xsl:value-of select="." /> </xsl:for-each> </DATA></COL>

You could also use <xsl:choose> to specify separate treatment of the current element according to its name.

• 2. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
            goodhope

Hello - thanks for the pointer. I'm still having trouble with this. As you see from the xml sample notice (below) there are a number of instances of <Title> appearing. Any titles appearing before the first <P><Text> tags I can safely assume are indeed Advert titles. Any titles that appear after the first <P><Text> will be paragraph titles and I'd like to treat these just as normal text. Please see below my XSLT - I've tried various combinations of you're suggestions below without any luck (see in red in the XSLT). Amongst others I have two fields set up in Filemaker for these instances - one that I'd like to read in the true Advert title, then a Text field into which I'd like to dump all text paragraphs along with the interspersed titles (in the order that they appear in the advert).

Sorry if what I'm after is quite simple - as you can see I'm no XSLT expert, and have only recently been introduced to Filemaker. As always any help is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Nick 

XML SAMPLE NOTICE:

<Notice Type="2301" Reference="654421">

<Metadata>

<PublishDate>2008-08-20</PublishDate>

<SupplierNoticeID>33496</SupplierNoticeID>

</Metadata>

<P><Text>Publication Date: 24 August 2009</Text></P>

<P><Text>Notice Code: [432>]</Text></P>

<P><Text>by</Text></P>

<Title>LOGIC CORPORATION</Title>

<P><Text>The terms defined in the Offer Document have the same meaning in this notice.</Text></P>

<P><Text>This notice does not constitute, and must not be construed as an offer. ARC Shareholders who accept the Offer may rely only on the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form, the Form of Acceptance for all the terms and conditions of the Offer.</Text></P>

<Administration>

<Administrator>Logic</Administrator>

<DateSigned Date="2009-08-24">21 August 2008</DateSigned>

</Administration>

</Notice> 

XSLT FILE:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/">

<FMPXMLRESULT xmlns="http://www.filemaker.com/fmpxmlresult">

<ERRORCODE>0</ERRORCODE>

<PRODUCT BUILD="" NAME="" VERSION=""/>

<DATABASE DATEFORMAT="" LAYOUT="" NAME="" RECORDS="" TIMEFORMAT=""/>

<METADATA>

<FIELD NAME="Type" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Reference" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="PublishDate" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CourtName" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CourtDistrict" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Number" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Year" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Legislation" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Title" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyName" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="TradingAs" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyNumber" TYPE="NUMBER" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Text" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="NatureOfBusiness" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="TypeOfLiquidation" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyRegisteredOffice" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="DateOfAppointment" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Administrator" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="OfficeHolderNumber" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="DateSigned" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

</METADATA>

<RESULTSET FOUND="">

<xsl:for-each select="Gazette/Body/Category/Notice">

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="@Type"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="@Reference"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Metadata/PublishDate"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtName"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtDistrict"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtNumber/@Number"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtNumber/@Year"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Legislation">

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Title|Notice">

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Title|P">

<xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>XXX&#10;&#13;</xsl:text>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyName"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyOtherNames/TradingAs"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyNumber"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="P/Text">

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Company/NatureOfBusiness">

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/TypeOfLiquidation"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyRegisteredOffice"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Administration/DateOfAppointment"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Administration/Administrator">

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Administration/OfficeHolderNumbers/OfficeHolderNumber">

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Administration/DateSigned"/></DATA></COL>

</ROW>

</xsl:for-each>

</RESULTSET>

</FMPXMLRESULT>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

• 3. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
              comment_1

goodhope wrote:

Any titles appearing before the first <P><Text> tags I can safely assume are indeed Advert titles. Any titles that appear after the first <P><Text> will be paragraph titles and I'd like to treat these just as normal text.

Can there be more than one <Title> before the first <P>? If yes, where should they go?

• 4. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                comment_1
                   And, I should have asked, will there always be at least one <Title> before the first <P>?
                • 5. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                  goodhope

Hello,

Yes, there can be a number of Titles appearing before the first <P><Text>. There will always be either one or more of these preceding the first <P><Text>. Appearing as:

<Notice Type="2301" Reference="902162">

<Metadata>

<PublishDate>2009-08-24</PublishDate>

<SupplierNoticeID>496</SupplierNoticeID>

<KeyedBy>Rebo</KeyedBy>

<SortKey/>

<Language>English</Language>

<NoticeClass>Standard</NoticeClass>

<TimeStamp>10:27:48.301</TimeStamp>

</Metadata>

<Title>ALOGIC CORPORATION)</Title>

<P>

<Text>First Textual Paragraph . . .</Text> . . .

If there are any Titles appearing after the first occurrence of <P><Text>, they will appear as:

<P><Text>Text.</Text></P>

<P><Text>More Text.</Text></P>

<Title>UK LIMITED</Title>

<P><Text>for</Text></P> . . .

I hope that this is clear and OK. Thanks again for looking into this.

Cheers Nick 

• 6. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                    comment_1

OK, but you didn't say into which field should the second <Title> - "ALOGIC CORPORATION)" in your example - go.

Assuming it should go with the rest of the text, try this for your  "Title" field:

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Title"/></DATA></COL>

and this for the "Text" field:

<COL><DATA>
                    <xsl:for-each select="Title[position()>1]|P/Text">
                    <xsl:value-of select="." />
                    <xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text>
                    </DATA></COL>

• 7. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                      goodhope

Sorry to say I'm still struggling with this. Please see my XSLT below, showing how I'm currently handling both <Title> and <Text> paragraphs (in red):

XSLT:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/">

<FMPXMLRESULT xmlns="http://www.filemaker.com/fmpxmlresult">

<ERRORCODE>0</ERRORCODE>

<PRODUCT BUILD="" NAME="" VERSION=""/>

<DATABASE DATEFORMAT="" LAYOUT="" NAME="" RECORDS="" TIMEFORMAT=""/>

<METADATA>

<FIELD NAME="Type" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Reference" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="PublishDate" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CourtName" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CourtDistrict" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Number" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Year" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Legislation" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Title" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyName" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="TradingAs" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyNumber" TYPE="NUMBER" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Text" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="NatureOfBusiness" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="TypeOfLiquidation" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="CompanyRegisteredOffice" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="DateOfAppointment" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="Administrator" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="OfficeHolderNumber" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

<FIELD NAME="DateSigned" TYPE="TEXT" EMPTYOK="YES" MAXREPEAT=""/>

</METADATA>

<RESULTSET FOUND="">

<xsl:for-each select="Gazette/Body/Category/Notice">

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="@Type"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="@Reference"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Metadata/PublishDate"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtName"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtDistrict"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtNumber/@Number"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Court/CourtNumber/@Year"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Legislation"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Title"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyName"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyOtherNames/TradingAs"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyNumber"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="P/Text"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Company/NatureOfBusiness"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/TypeOfLiquidation"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Company/CompanyRegisteredOffice"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Administration/DateOfAppointment"/></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Administration/Administrator"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:for-each select="Administration/OfficeHolderNumbers/OfficeHolderNumber"><xsl:value-of select="." /><xsl:text>&#10;&#13;</xsl:text></xsl:for-each></DATA></COL>

<COL><DATA><xsl:value-of select="Administration/DateSigned"/></DATA></COL>

</ROW>

</RESULTSET>

</FMPXMLRESULT>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

In each case above in the XSLT the entries are taking care of multiple versions of each element found within an advert. As stated the problem I'm having is handling <Titles> which are interspersed within <Text> tags, please see example below:

SAMPLE XML FILE:

<Notice Type="23" Reference="992162">

<Metadata>

<PublishDate>2008-08-23</PublishDate>

<SupplierNoticeID>496</SupplierNoticeID>

<SortKey/>

</Metadata>

<Title>A WHOLLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY</Title>

<P><Text>Publication Date: 6 August 2009</Text></P>

<P><Text SpaceBefore="3">Notice Code: 999</Text></P>

<P><Text>by</Text></P>

<Title>TITLE TEXT</Title>

<P><Text>for</Text></P>

<Title>ANOTHER TITLE TEXT</Title>

<P><Text>Notice is hereby given,.</Text></P>  . . . .</Notice>

The titles in red (above) are the ones which I having problems with. When read into Filemaker I want to run everything from '<P><Text>Publication Date: 6 August 2009</Text></P>' up to '<P><Text>Notice is hereby given,.</Text></P>  . . . .</Notice>' into one record field. So I achieve in Filemaker the following:

Publication Date: 6 August 2009

Notice Code: 999

RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER

by

TITLE TEXT

for

ANOTHER TITLE TEXT

Notice is hereby given,.

Apologies if the answer is in from of me but I'm not seeing it at present.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Nick 

• 8. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                        comment_1

You're not following the suggestion in my previous message. You have:

<xsl:for-each select="P/Text">

where I suggested to use:

<xsl:for-each select="Title[position()>1]|P/Text">

• 9. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                          goodhope

Hello,

Sorry I had tried you're previous suggestion, but I'd keyed it incorrectly!

However, I've pasted in '<xsl:for-each select="Title[position()>1]|P/Text">' in place of '<xsl:for-each select="P/Text">' in my XSLT.

What I now get is:

Inside my Title field in Filemaker I get all of the Titles contained within the advert - whereas what I'm really after is only those <Titles> before the first <P><Text> tags. In the example below (<Title>NOTICE OF RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER</Title> and <Title>(UK) Limited </Title>)

Inside my Text field in Filemaker I do get all Text and Title information as I wanted, however it also includes one Title before the first <P><Text> tags (in red below).

Please see sample advert that I'm importing: 

<Notice Type="23" Reference="882162">

<Metadata>

<PublishDate>2008-08-23</PublishDate>

<SupplierNoticeID>996</SupplierNoticeID>

<SortKey/>

</Metadata>

<Title>(UK) LIMITED </Title>

<P><Text>Publication Date: 24 August 2009</Text></P>

<P><Text SpaceBefore="3">Notice Code: 00</Text></P>

<P><Text>by</Text></P>

<Title>INCORPORATED IN ENGLAND AND WALES</Title>

<P><Text>for</Text></P>

<Title>ARC LIMITED</Title>

<P><Text>Notice is hereby given, in accordance with section 978(1)(c)(i) of the Companies Act 2006, that:</Text></P>

<P><Text SpaceBefore="3">1. by means of a formal offer document (the <Strong>“Offer Document”</Strong>) dated and posted on 21 August 2009, Abigail (UK) (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Virage Logic Corporation (<Strong>“</Strong>

<Strong>Virage Logic”</Strong>)) has made a recommended cash offer of 16.25 pence per ARC Share (the <Strong>“Offer”</Strong>) to acquire the entire issued and to be issued share capital of ARC; and</Text></P>

<P><Text>2. copies of the Offer Document and the Form of Acceptance are available, free of charge, for collection (during normal business hours only) from Capita Registrars, The Registry, 34 Beckenham Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 4TU or by telephone on 0871 664 0321 from within the UK or on + 44 20 8639 3399 if calling from outside the UK, and also on ARC’s website at www.arc.com.</Text></P>

<P><Text>The terms defined in the Offer Document have the same meaning in this notice.</Text></P>

<P><Text>The Offer values the fully diluted share capital of ARC at approximately £25.2 million. The full terms and conditions of the Offer (including details of how the Offer may be accepted) are set out in the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form only, the Form of Acceptance.</Text></P>

<P><Text>This notice does not constitute, and must not be construed as an offer. ARC Shareholders who accept the Offer may rely only on the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form, the Form of Acceptance for all the terms and conditions of the Offer.</Text></P>

<Administration><Administrator>Abigail (UK) Limited</Administrator>

<DateSigned Date="2009-08-24">24 August 2009</DateSigned>

</Administration></Notice> 

Once imported into Filemaker I get the following:

INSIDE THE TITLE FIELD (I only want to see the Titles in red here):

NOTICE OF RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER

(UK) LIMITED

RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER

INCORPORATED IN ENGLAND AND WALES

ARC LIMITED

INSIDE THE TEXT FIELD (I only want those Titles after the first <P><Text>, so I don't want the Title in red - all else is great):

(UK) LIMITED

Publication Date: 24 August 2009

Notice Code: [  ]

RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER

by

INCORPORATED IN ENGLAND AND WALES

for

ARC LIMITED

Notice is hereby given, in accordance with section 978(1)(c)(i) of the Companies Act 2006, that:

1. by means of a formal offer document (the “Offer Document”) dated and posted on 21 August 2009, Abigail (UK) (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Virage Logic Corporation (“Virage Logic”)) has made a recommended cash offer of 16.25 pence per ARC Share (the “Offer”) to acquire the entire issued and to be issued share capital of ARC; and

2. copies of the Offer Document and the Form of Acceptance are available, free of charge, for collection (during normal business hours only) from Capita Registrars, The Registry, 34 Beckenham Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 4TU or by telephone on 0871 664 0321 from within the UK or on + 44 20 8639 3399 if calling from outside the UK, and also on ARC’s website at www.arc.com.

The terms defined in the Offer Document have the same meaning in this notice.

The Offer values the fully diluted share capital of ARC at approximately £25.2 million. The full terms and conditions of the Offer (including details of how the Offer may be accepted) are set out in the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form only, the Form of Acceptance.

This notice does not constitute, and must not be construed as an offer. ARC Shareholders who accept the Offer may rely only on the Offer Document and, in the case of ARC Shareholders holding ARC Shares in certificated form, the Form of Acceptance for all the terms and conditions of the Offer.

Sorry to keep on with this one but its very close - Thanks again for your continued help.

Cheers Nick 

• 10. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                            comment_1
                               Using your last XML sample and a stylesheet made per message #7 in this thread, I get this (and only this) in the Title field:

NOTICE OF RECOMMENDED CASH OFFER

This is the first <Title> (out of two) that comes before any <P> element.

Now it seems you want the last(?) <Title> out of those two - and it's not clear what should happen to any preceding <Title> elements - are they not imported at all?

• 11. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                              goodhope

Any help on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks Nick 

• 12. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                                goodhope

Sorry if I'm confusing you.

What I require is any Title text appearing before the first <P><Text> to be imported into the TITLE field in Filemaker - any Titles appearing after the first <P><Text> to be imported into the Text field.

Just to clarify there may be one or more <Titles> before the first <P<>Text> tags.

Cheers Nick 

• 13. Re: XML - Handling a Title section differently depending on where it exists within the XML advert
                                  comment_1
                                     I am afraid things aren't any clearer than before. If there are three <Title> elements before the first <P>, which one of the three should be imported into the Title field - and what should happen to the other two?