1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 4:41 AM by comment_1

XML Import Issue

jonnyt

Title

XML Import Issue

I have written two applications to consume some xml data over a http (internet) connection.

One application is written in vb.net and the other in a Filemaker database.

Essentially the application downloads some data from a subscription xml source that contains the details of UK road vehicles. The user types in a vehice registration into a text box and clicks import, this then downloads the data from the xml source and imports the data directly into the fields.

This works in my vb.net application and the data populates the fields of a form automatically.

In filemaker though I use the OpenURL script step to query the xml source, this then opens up Internet explorer and prompts me to download the xml file.I have to do this manually to save the xml into a directory before importing into filemaker.

The problem is that I have to add a Pause script step after the OpenURL script step to allow me to manually save the xml file before processing to import the data into the fields.

Any ideas how I can get filemaker to consume the xml automatically?

i.e when the user types the registration of the vehicle and then presses tab, I would like the fields to be auto populated from the imported xml.

• 1. Re: XML Import Issue
          comment_1

If (as it seems) the service allows a GET request, you should be able to import the result directly, using Import Records… > XML Data Source.

Alternatively, you could use Filemaker's own web viewer instead of an external browser application. If the returned data is simple enough, you could even parse it out directly out of the web viewer's content, without initiating an import.

Note that both must be scripted, so either the user must call a script expressly, or you must provide a script trigger.